Official Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Official Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator

Post by Quinto »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator" by Penny Singham.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a "modern independent girl," Oormila or Mila goes against a marriage proposal from her mother and elder brother. And now, they've all abandoned her, including her dad who, while growing up, "egged her to indulge in whatever she wanted." All alone and holed up in the imposing double-story bungalow that used to be the family home, she is now without warning experiencing fainting spells, but this is only the beginning of a series of attempts on her life orchestrated by the spurned groom.

The novel Daisies and Dragon Slayers of the Equator by Penny Singham is classified under the Sci-fi/ Historical Fantasy genre. And while I think this information offers a clue in making head or tail of this novel, it may also be a setback as the plot doesn't yield as easily. This is because the author, Penny, has taken tremendous leeway in the historical narrative that it quickly becomes apparent it may be superfluous as far as building an impeccable background to his story is concerned. Frankly, it took me a lot of patience in keeping up with his worldbuilding, with chapter one, for example, comprising of eight disjointed parts and covering almost one-third of the novel. Due to this, he ended up compromising in introducing and developing his characters and conflict early enough. Consequently, he constrained the tension or excitement till way into the second half of the novel.

When the storyline does get compelling, we get to understand the protagonist, Mila, better. She moves from a space of "adoring her mother because of her treasure trove of knowledge" to going against her when the issue of an arranged marriage crops up. This speaks volumes about her integrity, notwithstanding that the intended groom, Kevin Venkat Kandasamy (VK), is wealthy and of noble blood, and easily able to sway her character. On their first date, for example, he spends lavishly on her and crowns the day with a $50K-billboard advertisement uttering the words: "Oormila, will you marry me?"

Despite a gripping storyline, I felt the author didn't do a good job in controlling the pacing of the story. His dialogue, for example, had irrelevant information that can be classified as routine or not too interesting and therefore made the storyline slacken. For example, he doesn’t have to point out to the reader to an impending dialogue where he uses such phrases like: "...the following ensued." Or including plain greetings in the dialogue: "Shan: Hello Dr. Ratnam (Mila's father), how are you?
Dr. Ratnam: I'm o.k. How's everything with you?
Shan: Fine, thank you."
In my opinion, a more pared-down approach to the dialogue would be more appropriate.

I could describe the author's tone as animated. He is vibrant whilst pursuing the themes of forced marriages, dilution of indigenous culture due to modern cultural influences and sorcery. Indeed, the book cover and book title are an allusion to the latter. His historical narratives, as mentioned earlier, were confusing and spasmodic, so I didn't find a subject I could assess for historical accuracy. However, the major weakness of the novel has to do with its editing. As a self-published novel, it didn't seem to be professionally edited. I found grammatical mistakes, missing punctuation marks, run-on sentences, misspelled names, and a repetition of a paragraph. And while I wouldn't recommend the book now because of the mentioned weaknesses, I think the writer has a passion for storytelling. I enjoyed, for example, his broad vocabulary and prolific style. I rate the novel 2 out of 4 stars.

Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Quinto's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Dialogue can definitely mess up a story, and it sounds like it definitely doesn't help here. I did see this one on the review list, but it doesn't look like something I would enjoy. Since it needs a bit more editing, I think I'll pass. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

This one I am not sure I will want to read because of the many errors mentioned. Thank you for a good review, though.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 08:26 Dialogue can definitely mess up a story, and it sounds like it definitely doesn't help here. I did see this one on the review list, but it doesn't look like something I would enjoy. Since it needs a bit more editing, I think I'll pass. Thanks, though.
Thanks, kandscreeley for your kind comments. Yes, there were some aspects of the book that needed improvement, otherwise, it would have been a great story.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Uinto wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 20:50 This one I am not sure I will want to read because of the many errors mentioned. Thank you for a good review, though.
Thanks, much appreciated for visiting.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

The book sounds plain with not much to offer. Wish it could be redone, in order to bring out the best in it. Thanks for the good review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

It's rough when a book, especially a novel, requires patience and focus to get through. I applaud your perseverance and your thorough review.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

fredrick otieno wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 01:29 The book sounds plain with not much to offer. Wish it could be redone, in order to bring out the best in it. Thanks for the good review.
Thanks, Fredrick for your comments. Yes, I couldn't agree more.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

SamSim wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 07:57 It's rough when a book, especially a novel, requires patience and focus to get through. I applaud your perseverance and your thorough review.
Thanks, SamSim for stopping by and your kind comments.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

The grammatical errors don't put me off as much as the book's inability to capture attention on the go. It does seem that it has promise however.
Thank you for the honest review!
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Sahar Majid wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 13:36 The grammatical errors don't put me off as much as the book's inability to capture attention on the go. It does seem that it has promise however.
Thank you for the honest review!
Thanks, Sahar Majid for your kind comments. Yes, a gripping work from the start is quite important.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This, being a sci-fi fantasy, should have been interesting. Yet, according to your review it seems not so. Thanks for the review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Sushan wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 23:27 This, being a sci-fi fantasy, should have been interesting. Yet, according to your review it seems not so. Thanks for the review 👍👍
Thanks for you kind comments. This is a historical fantasy.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Thank you for the honest review. It's a shame about the book, especially the dialogue. Great review!
:tiphat:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I was first misled into looking for a dragon in the story. And your review spoke of none. So, I understood this is meant to be taken metaphorically. So much so that the novel is set in modern times. Thanks for the interesting review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”