Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kings' Assassin" by Ed Cannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a royal family is betrayed, it is time to look without and within for the traitor(s). When not even the gods will tell the true tale, who can the heir trust? The King's Assassin by Ed Cannon is a story of secrets within secrets. Sillik, the youngest prince of Illicia receives a dire message sent on the wings of magic. Immediate aid is commanded, but when Sillik arrives home, he finds his father and brothers dead. All were assassinated. All suffered greatly. The entire city of Illicia is filled with palpable fear and uncertainty. Sillik must quickly enlist those he trusts as personal counselors.

To further complicate matters, it becomes known that Illicia, as well as the surrounding cities with their trade routes had all been resting on a delicate balance of powers. Now that this balance has been upset by rumors, shadows, deaths, and traitors, it is up to Illicia's new Crown Prince to restore peace to the entire world. If he is to survive, Sillik must endure traps designed to kill, discover the meaning of clues left by his father, and embark on a perilous quest. Whose advice should he follow? The only sure thing left in his mind are the seven gods by whom Illicia was founded and the seven laws of magic that he has mastered. However, it quickly becomes apparent that the nine dark gods have gathered followers, and the welfare of the entire world is at stake. Can Sillik survive attacks by warriors, magicians, and dragons?

I found The King's Assassin to be a compelling read that drew me in and quickly became difficult to put down. As main character, Sillik is a study in contrast between humility and confidence; a righter of wrongs who does not seek his own glory. His oldest friend, Briana, was once an estranged lover, but is now Sillik's closest friend and adviser. All characters, both major and minor have an important part to play. Even though fantasy items such as gods and laws of magic are integral to the story, the characters were all completely believable and relatable. I found myself "living" in the fantasy world and feeling somewhat of a withdrawal when I read the last word on the last page.

Nearly everyone in the book has at least one secret from at least one other person. I am in awe at how the author designed all of this to fit so neatly together without running into major plot issues. I enjoyed the pace and "just right" unfolding of the story. I loved that as one truth was uncovered, another mystery or two arose that needed to be solved. The author succeeded in keeping my attention this way throughout the entire book. My only sadness was that while most secrets were made plain, the book ended with a major cliffhanger. I hope the next book is made available soon.

Thankfully, this story was overall well-edited. I found a few scattered errors, mostly items such as "you" instead of "your." This did not hinder my enjoyment of the book or stop the flow. I also liked that the author kept the book "clean." There were many opportunities for characters to indulge in adult-only scenes, but the author left any such details to the reader's imagination. Because this book has so many positive qualities, I am glad to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Kings' Assassin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Thanks for the great review. I'm really interested in this book. Usually, I don't like to read books ending with a cliffhanger, but it seems I have to make an exception in this case.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Thanks for this compelling review that has stirred my interest in this book. I love books that take you away from from everyday life and let you live briefly in a new world with interesting people and events.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I too recently reviewed this book. I agree with you that it was an enjoyable read, although I personally thought that Cannon could improve on other aspects. Thanks for the review, and do let me know what you think!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This has all the elements to make a great fantasy novel. I am glad to know that the grammatical errors did not detract from your reading experience. Good review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A book where just about everyone has secrets? I love that this one snags you from the start; that's my kind of book. It sounds interesting, though I'm not usually into fantasy as much. I think I'm still going to have to try this one. After all, you make it sound so intriguing! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 10:32 A book where just about everyone has secrets? I love that this one snags you from the start; that's my kind of book. It sounds interesting, though I'm not usually into fantasy as much. I think I'm still going to have to try this one. After all, you make it sound so intriguing! Thanks!
;) This book was a very welcome read after the last one or two I picked up :roll: I hope you like it as much as I did :)
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

My interest is already piqued on reading the review. The book sounds interesting and would love to have a look at it.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The title of this book alone is catchy. However, I don't really like books that have a cliffhanger end but the plot is great, and that has piqued my interest in reading this book. This is a great review. Thanks.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
greenstripedgiraffe

gen_g wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 02:00 I too recently reviewed this book. I agree with you that it was an enjoyable read, although I personally thought that Cannon could improve on other aspects. Thanks for the review, and do let me know what you think!
Hey! Thanks for your thoughts! I think you did a great job in your review. :tiphat: I personally liked the hint of romance. To me, it felt natural, as though throughout all of time the two were waiting for each other. Of course, the girl had already known of Sillik, although he had not known of her. I didn't really see it as sudden, as there were clues dropped as soon as they officially met. I also appreciated that the relationship was a sub plot, not really allowed to be a major detractor to the rest of the story. I could give more reasons that I thought it worked, but I don't want to be all nerdy :lol: :roll: :oops:
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

This book sounds quite interesting. I love the idea of the good and evil gods being at odds with each other. I don't know how I feel about the cliffhanger ending, but that's not always a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the great review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 07:14
gen_g wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 02:00 I too recently reviewed this book. I agree with you that it was an enjoyable read, although I personally thought that Cannon could improve on other aspects. Thanks for the review, and do let me know what you think!
Hey! Thanks for your thoughts! I think you did a great job in your review. :tiphat: I personally liked the hint of romance. To me, it felt natural, as though throughout all of time the two were waiting for each other. Of course, the girl had already known of Sillik, although he had not known of her. I didn't really see it as sudden, as there were clues dropped as soon as they officially met. I also appreciated that the relationship was a sub plot, not really allowed to be a major detractor to the rest of the story. I could give more reasons that I thought it worked, but I don't want to be all nerdy :lol: :roll: :oops:
Haha! :D Indeed, there were clues dropped in the book, but I suppose what I wanted to get across was that I wished that Cannon allowed us to see more of their interaction throughout the book instead of those hints, since by the end it became quite serious, didn't it? It's ok, I think all of us are partly nerds anyway, since we're all reviewing books for our own pleasure. :lol: (I say "nerd" with a positive connotation, of course!) Thanks for leaving a comment!
greenstripedgiraffe

gen_g wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 08:04 Haha! :D Indeed, there were clues dropped in the book, but I suppose what I wanted to get across was that I wished that Cannon allowed us to see more of their interaction throughout the book instead of those hints, since by the end it became quite serious, didn't it? It's ok, I think all of us are partly nerds anyway, since we're all reviewing books for our own pleasure. :lol: (I say "nerd" with a positive connotation, of course!) Thanks for leaving a comment!
Fair enough :D
Sara Kay
Currently Reading: The Water Trade
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-kay.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Sara Kay »

You've got me intrigued! This is such a good review and I like how you included just enough detail to lure us into the story without giving anything away. I also appreciate your honesty about the small flaws. It's good to know what you're wading into when it comes to grammar! Those issues might not worry me nearly as much as the cliffhanger, though. Do you know if there is a sequel planned?
greenstripedgiraffe

Sara Kay wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 10:47 You've got me intrigued! This is such a good review and I like how you included just enough detail to lure us into the story without giving anything away. I also appreciate your honesty about the small flaws. It's good to know what you're wading into when it comes to grammar! Those issues might not worry me nearly as much as the cliffhanger, though. Do you know if there is a sequel planned?
thanks :) :oops: There is a sequel planned, best I could tell. The King's Death or something like that. I don't know when it is scheduled to be available.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”