Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Re: Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like a super fantasy read. And you're right - a well-edited book these days is a definite plus!
I loved your review - as always. I did miss them :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Prince Sillik seems to have a lot in his mind and on his hands but still manages to fall in love quickly. Maybe the author thinks Sillik needs the inspiration, what with all the problems surrounding him. I do hope the next books will include the improvements you suggest.

I do think the story has all the elements that will bewitch fantasy fans.

Here's wishing you more magical reviews that will see the light!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Bianka Walter wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 13:45 This sounds like a super fantasy read. And you're right - a well-edited book these days is a definite plus!
I loved your review - as always. I did miss them :)
Thank you for such praise, Bianka, I'm pretty sure I don't deserve it! I agree, a well-edited book also makes me happy. :lol: I am also looking forward to your next review, which I know will also be amazing!!
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Miriam Molina wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 20:31 Prince Sillik seems to have a lot in his mind and on his hands but still manages to fall in love quickly. Maybe the author thinks Sillik needs the inspiration, what with all the problems surrounding him. I do hope the next books will include the improvements you suggest.

I do think the story has all the elements that will bewitch fantasy fans.

Here's wishing you more magical reviews that will see the light!
Hey Miriam, I hope everything is fine at your side! Me too, I'm actually hoping that I'll get a chance to read and review the sequel. Thank you for the well-wishes and for stopping by. Here's to us having more reviews being published! Cheers!
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

Sold! I love, love, love Christopher Paolini's series, so I hope this will stir similar feelings for me, albeit, Paolini's plots and romance are well thought out and developed throughout the books. As a first in the series, I could forgive some of the rushed elements in the hope that they'll become clearer by mid book two.

I agree with your comment about length as it looks to be a huge book im the first instance anyway.

I would give this book a fair go based on your review.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I wonder if Sillik managed to find the culprit. The fact that there is also a mystery in the book has piqued my interest. Great review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 02:33 Sold! I love, love, love Christopher Paolini's series, so I hope this will stir similar feelings for me, albeit, Paolini's plots and romance are well thought out and developed throughout the books. As a first in the series, I could forgive some of the rushed elements in the hope that they'll become clearer by mid book two.

I agree with your comment about length as it looks to be a huge book im the first instance anyway.

I would give this book a fair go based on your review.
I certainly hope that you will enjoy it too!! I remember enjoying Inheritance Cycle (it was part of my childhood, after all). I think it was approximately in the mid-500s in terms of pages (if I didn't remember wrongly) – it's quite the large book. I also believe Cannon will make things clearer in book two, so I'm rather looking forward to reviewing that if it becomes available!

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it!
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Great review! Good points that the plot could have been expanded. There really is a lot going on here! Sort of a whirlwind, but an enjoyable one :)
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 02:41 I wonder if Sillik managed to find the culprit. The fact that there is also a mystery in the book has piqued my interest. Great review!
Sillik goes on a quest to try to find the culprit, and that journey makes up the bulk of the book. I will stop here so I won't spoil it, LOL. Thank you for stopping by! :D
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 07:12 Great review! Good points that the plot could have been expanded. There really is a lot going on here! Sort of a whirlwind, but an enjoyable one :)
I totally agree, it was a fast-paced and exciting read. Thanks for stopping by! :D
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Sometimes we all need a bit if magic in our life. This fantasy novel with elements of political intrigue and mystery seems interesting.

Thank you for the great review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Kajori50 wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 08:49 Sometimes we all need a bit if magic in our life. This fantasy novel with elements of political intrigue and mystery seems interesting.

Thank you for the great review.
Thank you for stopping by, I really appreciate it!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

One of my favorite things about books that include magic and various mythical or mystical creatures is to learn about how the author has personally developed them to be unique from other stories. It is such a shame when the author doesn't fully flesh this out for the reader. It is so great to understand the magic and the people in fantasies. I loved the Inheritance Cycle so your comparison makes me very interested.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

kfwilson6 wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 15:36 One of my favorite things about books that include magic and various mythical or mystical creatures is to learn about how the author has personally developed them to be unique from other stories. It is such a shame when the author doesn't fully flesh this out for the reader. It is so great to understand the magic and the people in fantasies. I loved the Inheritance Cycle so your comparison makes me very interested.
I totally agree, the details that go into worldbuilding for fantasy works is really important for me as well, since it helps to immerse myself more fully. If you decide to pick up the book, I hope you will enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I am highly intrigued by this book but the thing that has me concerned is the political aspect...is it only political because of the fact that he must step up to become king while dealing with traitors or is there something else? I guess other than defining your interpretation of political intrigue it was a wonderful review placing this book on my to read shelf. thank you.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”