Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Post by gen_g »

Sweetp120 wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 22:30 I am highly intrigued by this book but the thing that has me concerned is the political aspect...is it only political because of the fact that he must step up to become king while dealing with traitors or is there something else? I guess other than defining your interpretation of political intrigue it was a wonderful review placing this book on my to read shelf. thank you.
Ooh you're absolutely right. In this case, I mean political intrigue in the sense of court politics - Sillik is a younger son, and there are certain court factions that oppose his coronation; so, yes politics that are present in the fantasy world rather than anything in the real life. Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading it.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is a great book, i love the review. Even though it has one or two issues, i think i still would enjoy it. Thank you for this review.
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

fredrick otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 07:08 This is a great book, i love the review. Even though it has one or two issues, i think i still would enjoy it. Thank you for this review.
I hope you enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

Not my cup of tea but still, congratulations on the informative review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sahar Majid wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 11:32 Not my cup of tea but still, congratulations on the informative review!
Thank you for stopping by nonetheless!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I love a bit of political intrigue so think I'd enjoy this book.

And, it's a small thing I know, but I always appreciate a family tree with a complex story, otherwise I keep having to check back every five minutes to remind myself who's related to who!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love a good fantasy novel with mystery and depth. The abrupt romance with poor lead-up would have annoyed me too, but I still think I want to check this one out. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Is it bad that the mention of Paolini at the end actually turned me against this book? :icon-redface: :oops2: I wasn't fond of his books, but it did give me some insight as to how this particular book would play out. I could totally see how this came across as "rushed" and perhaps a bit too busy. It seems like this isn't for me. Great review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Julie Green wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 13:09 I love a bit of political intrigue so think I'd enjoy this book.

And, it's a small thing I know, but I always appreciate a family tree with a complex story, otherwise I keep having to check back every five minutes to remind myself who's related to who!
I totally agree! That family tree helped me much as well. Thanks for stopping by!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

SamSim wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 13:19 I love a good fantasy novel with mystery and depth. The abrupt romance with poor lead-up would have annoyed me too, but I still think I want to check this one out. Thanks for the great review!
I hope that you will enjoy it too! Thanks for stopping by.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

inaramid wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 22:27 Is it bad that the mention of Paolini at the end actually turned me against this book? :icon-redface: :oops2: I wasn't fond of his books, but it did give me some insight as to how this particular book would play out. I could totally see how this came across as "rushed" and perhaps a bit too busy. It seems like this isn't for me. Great review!
Yes, I can certainly see how Paolini's books can be a turn off; I did find Paolini's books to be denser than required. Thanks for stopping by nonetheless, inaramid! :D
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Thank you for your great review! :D This sounds like a pretty good book--pity about the slight under-development though :x
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 02:47 Thank you for your great review! :D This sounds like a pretty good book--pity about the slight under-development though :x
Thanks for the stopping by! It is a pity indeed, but I hope that you will enjoy it if you decide to pick it up!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm a sci-fi/fantasy junkie from way back and this book sounds very akin to "Apollo's Raven," which I greatly enjoyed. I've put this one straight onto my "want to read" shelf. Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Kelyn wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 17:43 I'm a sci-fi/fantasy junkie from way back and this book sounds very akin to "Apollo's Raven," which I greatly enjoyed. I've put this one straight onto my "want to read" shelf. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for stopping by! I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I did.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”