Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kings' Assassin" by Ed Cannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ed Cannon’s fantasy-magic novel, titled The Kings’ Assassin, begins in media res. The story opens in the middle of the treacherous Illician desert, where Sillik, a prince of Illicia, is making his way home after receiving an urgent telepathic message from his father the king. Sillik reaches home, only to find that his father and older brothers have been ruthlessly and mysteriously assassinated, leading to a political uproar in the kingdom. Sillik now has to not only search for the culprit, who seems to be an Illician traitor, he is also thrown into the politics of his court amidst the threat of war due to the rise of dark forces around his kingdom.

This book has all the trappings of an exciting fantasy read which I relished: light magic, dark magic, mystery, politics, and mythical creatures such as imps and dragons. The plot is obviously well-thought-out, and the world in which the story is set in is complex and unique, making it all the more fascinating.

In addition, the writing style is simple (in a good way), and this helps the story to flow well. With this, I was quickly immersed in the story and could easily visualise the various scenes and backgrounds described. The book in turn became a richly detailed and rather realistic narrative for me, which only served to heighten my enjoyment.

Also, Cannon took the trouble to include Sillik’s family tree, along with a map of Illicia and her surroundings at the beginning of the book for readers to familiarise themselves with the world they are about to enter. I appreciated this very much, as it helped me to swiftly gain a better understanding of the geographical aspect of the scenes of war present.

Nevertheless, there are a few issues present that lessened my enjoyment of The Kings’ Assassin. A hint of romance is present in the book, which I personally think is unnecessary. This is as the build-up to the romance was not given enough time to develop, so for me, the establishment of the couple came out of nowhere.

Next, for a world in which light magic (termed “the Seven Laws”) and dark magic (termed “the Nine Laws”) play a massive part, it would have been a lot better if Cannon spent more time detailing what these magics are exactly, instead of providing a simple list of the names of said Laws at the beginning. With more explanation, I believe that the reader will be able to achieve a deeper level of immersion in the story.

This need for expansion unfortunately also applies to the plot: I believe that The Kings’ Assassin could have been fleshed out in more detail to form two books. As it is, there are too many things going on in the novel, which makes the book slightly rushed and a little underdeveloped.

Nonetheless, I rate Ed Cannon’s The Kings’ Assassin 3 out of 4 stars. If half stars were allowed, I would have given it 2.5 stars. I made the decision to round it up in this case because as much as the above-mentioned flaws are important, they do not detract significantly from the novel’s reading flow. Also, the book is professionally edited, which is a huge plus.

I recommend this to those who enjoy political intrigue (as it plays a major role) and a good mystery. In fact, it reminds me a little of Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle, albeit for a more mature audience. There are scenes and descriptions of torture and gore, so I would not recommend this to those who are uncomfortable with it. This is the first in the series, and the best recommendation I can give is to state that I would certainly read the sequel, titled The King’s Death.

The Kings' Assassin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gen_g's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there should have been just a bit more world building as well as development as far as the characters go. I do hate when all of a sudden two characters are in love. It just seems to hit you so suddenly, you know it can't be real. Still, this seems like a fairly good book for a fantasy. Thanks for your views on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

I love books that take me to a whole new world. in order to make up a new world and stories within it takes some real talent. I love reading books with any kind of magical qualities. thanks for your review. I think I would like to read this novel.
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 15:07 It sounds like there should have been just a bit more world building as well as development as far as the characters go. I do hate when all of a sudden two characters are in love. It just seems to hit you so suddenly, you know it can't be real. Still, this seems like a fairly good book for a fantasy. Thanks for your views on this one.
Indeed! The interaction between the two people was minimal save for a 2 week trek in the desert, so I was hugely surprised when they were established as a serious couple. I suppose sometimes the author feels the need to insert a bit of romance simply because it is common to do so. It was still an exciting read, so I hope you will enjoy it if you decide to pick this up. Thanks for stopping by!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

evan1995muniz wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 16:07 I love books that take me to a whole new world. in order to make up a new world and stories within it takes some real talent. I love reading books with any kind of magical qualities. thanks for your review. I think I would like to read this novel.
Thank you for stopping by! I agree that the ability to immerse a reader in a story of one's own is nothing to be laughed at. I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I did!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the idea of the telepathic element. That intrigues me as to it that would/could be developed. I also like the family tree to keep track of everyone, especially when you are dealing with uncommon names. Great review! This book really sounds interesting.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

kdstrack wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 22:17 I like the idea of the telepathic element. That intrigues me as to it that would/could be developed. I also like the family tree to keep track of everyone, especially when you are dealing with uncommon names. Great review! This book really sounds interesting.
It was really fascinating to read, and I agree with your point, since the names are rather uncommon. Thanks for stopping by!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I'm curious about the telepathic message. I like that it is a fantasy murder mystery. Thanks for the review.
:tiphat:
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This book has all the elements to make a great fantasy novel. You mentioned that the different Laws, the Light magic and the Dark magic are not described in this book but you also mentioned that this is the first book in the series. Maybe the author will describe them in the next book. However, I do agree with you that build-up to a romance is important instead of just shoving it down the reader's throat. Thanks for the candid review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 23:41 I'm curious about the telepathic message. I like that it is a fantasy murder mystery. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for stopping by! I hope that you will enjoy it if you decide to pick it up.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 00:46 This book has all the elements to make a great fantasy novel. You mentioned that the different Laws, the Light magic and the Dark magic are not described in this book but you also mentioned that this is the first book in the series. Maybe the author will describe them in the next book. However, I do agree with you that build-up to a romance is important instead of just shoving it down the reader's throat. Thanks for the candid review!
Me too, so it was quite a jarring surprise when the couple was suddenly established in a serious relationship. Nonetheless, it was still enjoyable. Perhaps he will describe them in the next book, but I do think that it will help with better clarity had he taken the time to explain and describe them. Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate it! (:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I thought of the game of thrones as I read your review. The book sounds intriguing. I think it can make a great movie. I have enjoyed reading your review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Cotwani wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 01:44 I thought of the game of thrones as I read your review. The book sounds intriguing. I think it can make a great movie. I have enjoyed reading your review!
Ooh! You are quite right! Except this would also be more PG compared to GoT, LOL! Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Enthralling and informative review here. The book sounds intriguing and I would definitely love to read it. The maps for sure do serve a great purpose in this book if it includes wars.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Kibetious wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 02:02 Enthralling and informative review here. The book sounds intriguing and I would definitely love to read it. The maps for sure do serve a great purpose in this book if it includes wars.
I agree with you 100%. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”