Official Review: Dragon's Heir by Glenn Parris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Official Review: Dragon's Heir by Glenn Parris

Post by Franc93 »

The assertion that dinosaurs were all along a sentient species and escaped earth to conquer the stars does indeed tickle my fancy. I would pretty much love to know if they use all their limbs and if their tail become a vestigial structure later on. Were all of them intelligent, including the ones the 'species of nuisance' dug up later at archaeological sites? The looming conflict between the two species is one to write home about. Terrific review.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! :tiphat:
I think I would really enjoy the book. Sounds like a new twist with "Together, the Efilu chose to leave to colonize space when their actions created an inhospitable environment on earth. Sixty-five million years later, the Efilu face a conflict that drives a secret mission back to Earth to locate an untainted food source."
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

The Efilu seems to have adventurous missions. I would love to know about their untainted food and if they ever grabbed it. Great review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It took me a little while to get into this novel at first because of the detailed world building Paris put into his novel. Efilu characters use terms and language without necessarily explaining them to a reader. After a chapter or two, I found myself truly appreciating how well Paris built his world. Paris trusts his readers to be intelligent and figure things out with context clues. As the book progresses, Paris reveals more details and masterfully draws the plot and setting together. At the end of the novel, Paris includes a glossary of Efilu terms that can be helpful to understanding the alien races, customs, and terms. That said, this still might not appeal to readers that dislike the feeling of being dropped into the deep end and forced to sink or swim.

One of my favorite features of this book is the way that Paris never introduces a detail without using it later. Small details, such as the oils on the coat of one of the characters or the fact that certain species always hunt in pairs, may seem insignificant in one scene and become critical in another. I thoroughly enjoyed Paris’s well-planned story and attention to detail throughout the novel.
I'm not particularly fond of these complicated fantasy worlds that some authors build. Maybe I'm too lazy or probably, I'm not that into fantasy stories. But I do appreciate it takes a lot of effort, talent, and planning from the author. Especially when, as you say, there are no loose ends or meaningless details. The plot seems quite original too and I think fantasy readers might really enjoy this book.
Thanks for your review!
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

What an interesting book. Writers that are good world builders are hard to come by social definitely give this one a read. Thanks for the review!
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I like the premise of the book: a species going back to Earth. However, I am not sure how I feel about the species being dinosaurs. Sounds interesting, though. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This is quite a different take on the dinosaur's existence and subsequent extinction. The level of detail of the work is also quite notable. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is always interesting to read different books about building imaginative worlds. It sounds like Parris did a good job of creating a world of dinosaurs and dragons. The glossary would be useful since the author used many new words.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

Interesting premise - blending science fiction and fantasy elements to do so much world building. I may have to check this one out!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

I'm a huge fantasy fan, but this sounds too silly for me.
Good review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”