Official Review: Grim's Prodigies: The Reaper's Inception

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Grim's Prodigies: The Reaper's Inception

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grim's Prodigies: The Reaper's Inception" by Remmy Stourac.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grim’s Prodigies by Remmy Stourac is the first book in a new fantasy series called The Reaper’s Inception.

We know the Angel of Death as merciless, the sight of whom means the end for the unlucky soul. However, in this book, The Divine gives Grim a chance to begin a new life and shed his ruthless and soulless image. He also gives him a gift, one that will enable in him feelings he’s never had before: real emotions of caring for those he used to take away.

The story, set in the world of Ohm, follows Grim and four children who will be born again with new powers that would help keep the balance in a world filled with monsters and gods, many who would want those powers in their own hands. All main characters have their own chapters with the scenes projected through their own eyes in a third-person point of view. We meet the children who would eventually become powerful, and we observe them as small babies and toddlers trying to make sense of their new realities. The kids grow up in various parts of the world, in all vastly different places from each other.

We also get several chapters featuring Grim himself. These were the chapters I was mostly drawn to. The Devil, as the locals called the Grim, was an intriguing character, one I grew fond of. From a typical antihero, he slowly turned into the hero with the burden to save the world. His transformation happened in front of my eyes, and I couldn’t wait to read more chapters about him. At times, I even had ideas about which actors could potentially play him if the book were ever turned into a fantasy movie.

I found the story captivating, and the engaging writing style contributed greatly to my enjoyment of the book. I assume this is the author’s debut novel, and, except for the first two chapters that I found confusing, the rest of the book had a smooth flow to it. The detailed descriptions of the four different parts of the world and the various characters inhabiting them were spot on, and I could easily imagine myself watching the story unfolding live from the sidelines.

Having said that, the first two chapters, the Prologue and Setting the Pace, almost made me stop reading. The writing was awkward, bombastic, with plenty of sentence-structure mistakes (especially randomly mixing the present and past tense in a sentence or paragraph). I didn’t understand what was going on.

However, from the next chapter on, once Grim fell from The Divine for the second time, everything clicked into place. It was as if the author had suddenly found his voice, a strong and appealing one which he kept throughout the entire novel. So much that I am now glad I didn’t give up on the book.

I found several grammatical errors, but most of them were in those two initial chapters with constructs such as “I leaned over to let an ant crawl from the top of my foot to the tip of my finger. I watch its tiny legs…” and “I get back to my feet as I realized…” which are very obvious issues that stopped me in my tracks a few times. After the initial chapters, the grammatical mistakes almost disappeared. Still, due to my issues with that awkward beginning, I am forced to give the book 3 out of 4 stars.

I highly recommend Grim’s Prodigies to any epic fantasy lover who enjoys strong character development and plenty of action that keeps the pages turning. As to my only regret – after watching too many TV shows with kids saving the world with their superpowers, I was hoping the children would feature in the final major act of the first book, but the focus was almost entirely on the Grim Reaper. I assume the author will explore their fates further in the second book, and they will have a more prominent impact throughout the story. Overall, Grim’s Prodigies was a very enjoyable read, and I am eagerly looking forward to the sequel.

Grim's Prodigies: The Reaper's Inception
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

This book takes such a different view of the Grim Reaper that I am quite curious. It is not really my preferred genre, but I do really appreciate an author who can take an age old story and make it new and interesting. Great review.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Wow! what a fantastical irony executed by the author? if devils would become super angels, the world would be so perfect. But all this is fiction. The book is so interesting and i would love to read it. Indeed this was a nice review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

It will be fascinating to read a story where the devil turns into a hero. Thanks for the review!
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

I wonder how a devil would turn into a hero! we all know devils to be merciless, but this book is a fascinating one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! That's a plot I've never really seen before. A Grim getting the chance at a new life with new emotions? Sounds quite unique. I think I'll have to look into this one more. Thanks so much for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is quite a different plot; having the devil become a hero sounds very strange and new, unlike the whole idea of the 'devil' we know. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This premise sounds really fascinating, and the story seems exciting. I'm certainly interested in picking this book up - thanks for the amazing review!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The journey of this character from bad guy to hero sounds intriguing. While I am a little confused by the quality of the initial chapters, I would love to get my hands on this book. Thank you for your insightful review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I like the idea that it brings to the literature table. thank you for the review. it truly has me curious.
ThinLizzy53
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ThinLizzy53 »

A wonderful Review of Grim’s Prodigies! Now, I am totally intrigued by the character, Grim, that Remmy Stourac brings to us in his book.
I had unfortunately only progressed through the beginning when I became somewhat bogged down trying to grasp the concept of what and who Grim is, and what his purpose is. Already frustrated, I too, was struck by the glaring spelling and grammatical errors very uncommonly found in published works. This reflected negatively on the book, unfortunately, and seemed very odd in my opinion. Remmy Stourac has an amazing grasp of the English language! Therefore, I must assume the editors had not done their jobs as they should have caught or corrected these problems or errors before publishing. There is apparently a lot more to this book than what the reader is given in the all important intro and first chapters. Judging by what has been explained to us in this Review, I’m now sorry that I set this book aside!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

And I was beginning to think you have packed your bags!

The devil himself is doing a metanoia! That would be the day! I hope to spend time with this lovable devil.

Thanks for the fascinating review, Kislany!
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

Well i am an epic fantasy lover who enjoys strong character development and plenty of action and honestly i think the author went out of his/her way in terms of coming up with an intriguing premise and a good narrative which deserved a 4 star rating. Anyway great review. Let me add this one to my list.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”