Official Review: The Maltese Incident by Russell F. Moran

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: The Maltese Incident by Russell F. Moran

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Maltese Incident" by Russell F. Moran.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Maltese Incident, by Russel F. Moran, is a sci-fi/fantasy book that delves into the theme of time travel. This is the first book of the Harry and Meg Series.

Ships are disappearing into thin air. Cruise liners are losing business. People are afraid to be on the water. Can that really be a megalodon in the ocean?

Harry Fenton is the captain of the Maltese. He is a retired Navy captain with extensive knowledge about ships. He is sailing to Portugal with 950 passengers when a bright light flooded the cruise ship. Harry realizes the world has changed. The Maltese have traveled back to prehistoric times.

The passengers begin a life filled with new challenges. Dinosaurs roam the earth and giant sharks swim near the ship. They continue living on the ship as long as possible. An exploration team is sent to survey the new surroundings. They also collect fruit to supplement the supplies aboard the ship. Eventually, they feel obligated to go ashore. With much hard labor, they organize a town. All the passengers apply their collective ingenuity to produce electricity and bring water to the new city.

While searching for the Maltese, a second ship travels through time. Can the time travelers locate the wormhole for a return trip? Is the wormhole moving? Is it possible that malicious minds have discovered a way to manipulate the wormhole?

I enjoyed the unique perspective Moran brings to the theme of traveling through time. The story motivates the reader to consider distinct potentialities about our ability to control time travel.

Moran possesses a unique writing style. He adds a generous amount of humor to the story. Some readers may not enjoy his style of comic relief. The frequent use of humor counterbalances the seriousness of their situation. I enjoyed his innovative perspective.

Meg plays an important role in the management and supervision of the passengers. She is an influential and intelligent leader. The crew requests and respects her opinions and decisions. Her intuition alerts the crew to a passenger who exhibits suspicious behavior. I liked the way Moran portrayed her.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was well edited and there were few grammar errors. I enjoyed the Character List included after the final chapter. The powerful ending is refreshing. People who like time travel and humor will enjoy this book. Mystery and drama readers would also find this a satisfying read.

The Maltese Incident
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Wow! Would this disappearance have happened in the Bermuda Triangle? I hope to get hold of this book. I am totally curious about the ending and how the rest of the series would go.

Thanks for the wonderful introduction, kdstrack!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Miriam Molina wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 13:02 Wow! Would this disappearance have happened in the Bermuda Triangle? I hope to get hold of this book. I am totally curious about the ending and how the rest of the series would go.

Thanks for the wonderful introduction, kdstrack!
I wondered the same thing. What a surprise I got as I continued reading! I am curious, too, about what happens next!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

The Bermuda Triangle has always been an interesting mystery to me, but I never considered the possibility of time travel as being a possible solution. What a unique premise for this book. It sounds like a good story. Thanks for the review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

BookReader+6 wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 07:42 The Bermuda Triangle has always been an interesting mystery to me, but I never considered the possibility of time travel as being a possible solution. What a unique premise for this book. It sounds like a good story. Thanks for the review!
The Triangle is an enigma. This book uses Portugal and New Jersey as locations for the story. That ups the mystery. The author presents a very interesting twist that really makes the reader think. Thanks for stopping by!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

This indeed is a unique premise. It's always appealing when an author combines a unique plot with good execution. I hope to read this one. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I so started not to click on this book - that's what I get for judging a book by its cover, eh?- but I'm so glad I went ahead and did so. I've always been fascinated by the Bermuda Triangle and this book puts me in the mind of that mystery. Thanks so much for the introduction!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Wow! Ships disappearing into thin air and traveling back ages into pre-historic times. That's a terrific premise. Based on your review, it seems that the author has crafted a gripping story. Thanks for the review!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

The story motivates the reader to consider distinct potentialities about our ability to control time travel.
I enjoyed reading your review, great job! :tiphat: What an unique idea with the time travel but in conjunction with the ship/water. Also the quote above is one of the reasons I like certain sci fi more than others. If I can imagine it and sounds possible (even remotely) I tend to like the book more. Also, I like the fact that you mentioned humor.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”