Official Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daisy's Run" by Scott Baron.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Daisy is rudely awakened from her cryo-sleep by the ship's artificial intelligence named Mal. Something hit the ship, and there have been fires onboard. Repairs are needed as they are still six months out from earth, their final destination. Daisy senses something isn't right, though. There are too many glitches for a new ship such as the Vali. And, there seems to be a small oxygen leak, though Mal doesn't sense it. On top of that, most of the crew are mechanically enhanced - and Daisy doesn't trust them at all. Will she be able to figure out what's happening with the ship and crew before it's too late?

Daisy's Run is a science fiction book and the first in the Clockwork Chimera series. The majority of the book takes place in space; however, earth and a base on the moon come into play at the end. I would classify this book as dystopian in nature.

Being the first in a series, there is a cliffhanger. While part of the storyline is left incomplete, the plot arc from the first book was still finished enough to appreciate the novel. That's not to say I didn't want to immediately move on to read the next book. I can't wait to see how the story continues.

The characters were wonderfully realistic. Daisy immediately bonds with her shipmate, Sarah. The two are quite alike. Tamara is the ship's botanist and seems a bit more standoffish. Barry is the cyborg assigned to the ship; he can do more than the human crew could dream of. Plus, he doesn't have to sleep. Even the ship itself has a personality. Despite all this artificial intelligence, including mechanical limbs with AI enhancements, there was humanity aplenty - both nice and not so nice. Sometimes the humans were more like machines. Often you weren't quite sure which was which, a testament to the author's skillful writing.

From the beginning of the story, I was fascinated. Mystery abounds. The reader is left wondering who is who and what secrets the ship and crew are hiding. How exactly does this all pan out? I couldn't put it down. My favorite part, without giving too much away, was seeing the earth and learning how it came to be in its current state.

Overall, I enjoyed Daisy's Run more than words can express. The editing was great with only a few mistakes dotting the pages. The characters were life-like, and the plot moved quickly, nonstop from beginning to end. This is why I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to all those who enjoy science fiction stories, especially dystopian lovers and those who love advanced technology.

Daisy's Run
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ah, the big D.
Dystopian authors seem to be getting it right these days!
I see this book is available in the volunteer section - SOLD :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 14:28 Ah, the big D.
Dystopian authors seem to be getting it right these days!
I see this book is available in the volunteer section - SOLD :)
I have to warn you, though. You won't quite be clear about what's going on until close to the end. :) Enjoy!
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Wow, such a rave review! I love dystopian novels. This sort of reminded me of the movie Passengers. It seems like any time someone goes out into space, there are issues with the ship. Definitely makes me weary of space travel. It's all well in good to read in a fantastic novel though.
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

A very intriguing plot having Daisy figure out the mystery happening in the ship. And plus points that it has a futuristic technology!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

From the beginning of the story, I was fascinated. Mystery abounds. The reader is left wondering who is who and what secrets the ship and crew are hiding. How exactly does this all pan out? I couldn't put it down. My favorite part, without giving too much away, was seeing the earth and learning how it came to be in its current state.

This sounds very suspenseful--you piqued my interest! Thanks for the recommendation.
brandalyngill
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brandalyngill »

Very well written review. I was looking for examples of quality work and found this review to be quite intriguing.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It is great that you enjoyed the book so much, and although it is not my preferred genre, your review makes me long to read it. Well done!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Ditto with the Passengers comment. I was instantly reminded of that too, although with a LOT less romance it seems, which is a plus for me. I love that "mystery abounds" in this story and that despite being part of a series, the story arc of the book is "finished enough" to be appreciated. Will definitely check this out!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kfwilson6 wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 15:30 Wow, such a rave review! I love dystopian novels. This sort of reminded me of the movie Passengers. It seems like any time someone goes out into space, there are issues with the ship. Definitely makes me weary of space travel. It's all well in good to read in a fantastic novel though.
You're right! There are many movies I've seen where the ship is a bit mysterious. Thanks for your comments!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

charmperit wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 15:41 A very intriguing plot having Daisy figure out the mystery happening in the ship. And plus points that it has a futuristic technology!
Of course! Futuristic technology is so fun to me! Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 16:51

This sounds very suspenseful--you piqued my interest! Thanks for the recommendation.
Oh there is a definite mystery element to this one. You kind of have to guess what exactly is going on from the clues that the author leaves along the way! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

brandalyngill wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 17:33 Very well written review. I was looking for examples of quality work and found this review to be quite intriguing.
Thanks. I appreciate that.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 19:27 It is great that you enjoyed the book so much, and although it is not my preferred genre, your review makes me long to read it. Well done!
If you like mystery, you might still like this one even if you aren't a sci fi fan. It was intriguing for sure. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 20:25 Ditto with the Passengers comment. I was instantly reminded of that too, although with a LOT less romance it seems, which is a plus for me. I love that "mystery abounds" in this story and that despite being part of a series, the story arc of the book is "finished enough" to be appreciated. Will definitely check this out!
It's DEFINITELY less romance in this one. There is an aspect, but that's absolutely not the focus of the story at all. Thanks for your compliments!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”