Official Review: Infinities Gate by John R Moore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ayisha M Ashruf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-m-ashruf.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Official Review: Infinities Gate by John R Moore

Post by Ayisha M Ashruf »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Infinities Gate" by John R Moore.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book starts off on an interesting note. The readers find that Tamara Jenkins and James McKenzie have been kidnapped near the stonehenge when they were on their honeymoon. We are introduced to Caladan and Trudy Jorgensen, who, along with Sebastian and Helena Maximov are searching for clues that would provide an answer to their mysterious disappearance. They find an odd object of Celtic origin with an infinity symbol on it. Professor Angus Argyle helps them interpret the symbol. Following the clues, they travel through “Infinities Gate” to a mystical realm in search of the missing couple.

This book is the second one in the Sorcerer series by author John R. Moore. Since I had not yet read the first book in the series, I was left wondering who these people were for a bit. But this did not last too long because the author gives an outline of the events in the first book along the storyline. The book falls under the fantasy genre.

The part that I liked the best is where the reason for the abduction is revealed. Tamara was the reason they were abducted, or more specifically, her ancestry. I cannot give spoilers, you must read the book to find out. Let us just say that she is not who we think she is. But this part definitely gave me goosebumps.

Being a fan of fantasy novels, I was thrilled to have been able to read the book. The story begins with an air of mystery, leaving the reader with a lot of questions. All the characters are likeable. The author’s attention to historical details must be commented. But I must admit that the story lacks the flow that keeps the reader enthralled. It has enough plot twists and turns, but the writing does not really engage the reader as much as other novels in this genre. Also, there were quite a few grammatical and spelling errors which I found tedious. I felt that the book could have been edited more carefully.

Despite all this, I did enjoy the book though I may not re-read it. Those who love fantasy, especially magic and sorcery, will like this book. Due to the poor editing, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I feel that the book has better scope once it is properly edited. And I do want to see how the next book in the series goes.

Infinities Gate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ayisha M Ashruf's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a fascinating book and it is a cause for concern that the author was not able to write in a way that can enthrall the reader. I also believe that another good round of editing will be of great importance to this book. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Thanks for your informative review! Speaking of editing, I think the title of this book should be Infinity's Gate, as in "the gate of infinity", not Infinities Gate as it appears on the cover. It astounds me that authors these days make such errors as confusing ownership with plurals. Self-publishing has a lot to answer for! Sounds like a good story though. Goes to show what a difference decent editing makes.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

The writing of a reader can go a long way in determning how well a reader enjoy the book. Thanks for the detailed review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”