Review by Lynsyn -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Lynsyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsyn.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review by Lynsyn -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Lynsyn » 03 Oct 2018, 10:15

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain written by Ben Schneider is a sci-fi, action-packed book about two individuals from different backgrounds fighting together against a terrorist group named Chrome Falcon. Sonya McCall, a woman who used to date a gangster leader, ran away from the gang her ex-boyfriend operated and went back to her grandmother’s house, her only living relative. On the other side of the story, Trey Radisson, a genius scientist, made a breakthrough technology that could possibly change the world’s fate but ultimately destroyed it, knowing that his technology might bring harmful effects once it is used by the wrong hands. After three years, the both of them have met through unusual circumstances fighting against unusual enemies while facing adversities together and overcoming them as the story progresses.

First, there were no grammatical mistakes and errors found in the book since it was fully edited not only twice, but many times and I can see that as a reader. Regarding the author’s writing style, it was the standard way of writing wherein the author describes what is currently happening in that scene while using simple words that can be easily understood by the readers.

Second, the plot was quite enjoyable to read but does not strike me in a unique way, and in fact, the plot line was predictable. This was that kind of book wherein the good guys would surely win and the bad guys would surely lose. The obstacles that the characters have to face and when they had to fight against their enemies - it sure did give you a sense of wonder if they can truly live to see the next day … but for me, it wasn’t enough. Either the villains were just plain dumb and impulsive or the main characters were just very lucky to get out of a bad situation, which was quite anticlimactic for me. But at the end of the book, it did not give me much regret but I just expected it to be something much more.

Lastly, the characters that were presented in the story were okay, they weren’t entirely fleshed out and was somewhat stereotypical, but did not greatly affect my perception on the book. The antagonists of the story weren’t given much thought and thus, most of them were dumb, greedy, or both. The main characters, on the other hand, were the typical duo you see in every other book: a strong female lead and a nerdy male lead. The strong point of their characters wasn’t themselves, but rather, on the interactions of one character to another. The characters had varied personalities, and the way that the dialogue flowed in the story was very natural and had the right pacing. Overall, the characters weren’t too shabby but they need to be more properly fleshed out and polished.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book was an enjoyable read, but the plot was nothing special and did not stand out much from the rest of other books. The characters weren’t entirely fleshed out, but what stood out from them were their interactions with each other. There were no significant grammar mistakes or typos and the writing style of the author was easily understood. I recommend this book to anyone who just wants a little break in their life or those who wants to read something light.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lynsyn's review? Post a comment saying so!

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Currently Reading: Days of the Giants
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 16 Oct 2018, 00:34

This was that kind of book wherein the good guys would surely win and the bad guys would surely lose.
Nice review! That's too predictable for my taste. I will skip this one.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”