Official Review: Keagan's Fury by KC McGee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Official Review: Keagan's Fury by KC McGee

Post by OloladeO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Keagan's Fury" by KC McGee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Keagan’s Fury by KC McGee is a fictional tale about good and evil. It was the beginning of a school year and Keagan Phillips was to resume in a new school (Kennedy High). His father, Michael, urged him to join the Gentleman’s Club (GQ) and he agreed just to please him. As a rule, members of GQ were to wear a suit and tie every Monday and Friday. Unfortunately, this attire made him an easy target for Fredrick Hall and his goons (the school bullies) on his very first day in Kennedy High. Despite his encounter with them, Keagan remained fearless.

When Keagan got home after his first altercation with Fredrick, he noticed that half the hair on his face was white. There was also a huge spot of white hair on his right shoulder. Keagan was frightened by this development and called out to his parents. However, he soon found out that it runs in the family as his father has two patches of white hair on his back.

Reese Hanson, a girl in Keagan’s class, stood up for Keagan during one of Fredrick’s taunts in class and wound up putting herself on top of the bully list. Reese, unlike Keagan, was very scared of Fredrick as she believes he is evil and very dangerous. Keagan made it his duty to protect Reese, despite the fact that he was bullied as well and the two of them grew quite close. Sadly, Reese could no longer stand the taunting and humiliation, so she wound up committing suicide. When Keagan saw her body hanging at the entrance of the church, his fury knew no bounds and black wings sprung out from his shoulder blades. Which path will Keagan take? Good or evil?

KC McGee has managed to weave the themes of friendship, hate, good and evil so effortlessly well. His engaging writing style gave me an immersive feeling like I was a silent character in the book. I felt Keagan’s pain, screams, joy, sorrow, etc. He created such twist and turns that most of my predictions were wrong. I believe this book will do well if it is adapted into a movie.

What I liked most about the book was Keagan’s boldness. Despite everything that Fredrick and his pals put him through, he always stood up to them. He even went as far as joining the track and field team knowing that Fredrick was the captain of the team. During his tryout, he challenged Fredrick. The coach set it up, and he won! However, I didn’t like the fact that he refused to confide in his parents and school counselor about the situation with Fredrick. He believed he could handle everything by himself.

One aspect of the book kept bugging me. It was the crowd that was always opposite Keagan’s house whenever he gets back from school. They seemed to follow him. In fact, one of them told Keagan that they were there for him. They appeared in Keagan’s room after Reese died to comfort him and tell him that she was in a better place but that was as far as they went. They did not contribute or add to the story. I wish they played more roles.

I would have given Keagan’s Fury a perfect rating, but the numerous errors found in the book would not permit that. The errors include inappropriate spacing, lack of punctuation, misspelled words, name interchange, etc. I found an error in almost every page which was quite distracting. I believe this book would benefit from a thorough round of editing. Bearing this in mind, I rate Keagan’s Fury 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of mystery and fiction. It would keep you entertained from start to finish as the book is quick to pick up. This book is not for the squeamish and faint-hearted as it contains violence and horrifying events.

Keagan's Fury
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like OloladeO's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a fascinating book. All the events seem unpredictable. I think Keagan will take the good path and not the evil. I will have to read this so as to find out more about this book. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I am most likely misunderstanding the crowd aspect, but it sounds slightly creepy to me :? Regardless, the story-line is interesting, and I definitely would love to know more about Keagan. I think the book raises questions as how persons may feel when they are being bullied, sometimes, even adults have a hard time admitting or even acknowledging that they can't handle a situation alone. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

The plot of this book sounds intriguing. I'm not sure if I would be able to overlook the errors in the book or not, but I'd like to read it and see. I enjoy mystery and fiction stories and would like to see how this turns out for Keagan.
Mac :techie-reference:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like fictional and mystical books. Too many errors will be too distracting for me. Will pass on this one. Nice review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I'm not a fan of angel/devil stories as a rule, but I do enjoy books that offer strong role models to young people who might be suffering under the school bully's regime- providing the influence is positive. Sounds like an interesting read! Thank you.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Bullying is such a serious issue. I'm not sure what the message of this book is, but the suicide shows one heartbreaking outcome of bullying. It is concerning that Keagan refused to confide in his parents and school counselor about the situation with Fredrick, believing he could handle everything by himself. Perhaps this book could be a good springboard for discussion with teens.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

A book that will keep me entertained from start to finish is what i crave for. Will sure keep this book in mind. Thanks for the detailed review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

Definitely a wonderful review. Has me hooked and I haven't even read the actual authors written description yet. I definitely appreciated the fact that you even stated that it is not for the faint of heart due to the fact that it has certain aspects that could be triggers for the prospected reader.
Thank you for the share!
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Kibetious wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 07:53 This is a fascinating book. All the events seem unpredictable. I think Keagan will take the good path and not the evil. I will have to read this so as to find out more about this book. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for reading and commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

daydreaming reader wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 08:13 I am most likely misunderstanding the crowd aspect, but it sounds slightly creepy to me :? Regardless, the story-line is interesting, and I definitely would love to know more about Keagan. I think the book raises questions as how persons may feel when they are being bullied, sometimes, even adults have a hard time admitting or even acknowledging that they can't handle a situation alone. Thank you for your thorough review.
Thank you for reading and commenting, I also thought the crowd that followed him was really creepy.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

mac83 wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 08:29 The plot of this book sounds intriguing. I'm not sure if I would be able to overlook the errors in the book or not, but I'd like to read it and see. I enjoy mystery and fiction stories and would like to see how this turns out for Keagan.
Thank you for reading and commenting. Hopefully, the author would correct the errors.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

T_stone wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 17:05 I like fictional and mystical books. Too many errors will be too distracting for me. Will pass on this one. Nice review
Thank you for reading and commenting. Hopefully, the author would correct the errors.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 21:28 I'm not a fan of angel/devil stories as a rule, but I do enjoy books that offer strong role models to young people who might be suffering under the school bully's regime- providing the influence is positive. Sounds like an interesting read! Thank you.
Thank you for reading and commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

stacie k wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 17:46 Bullying is such a serious issue. I'm not sure what the message of this book is, but the suicide shows one heartbreaking outcome of bullying. It is concerning that Keagan refused to confide in his parents and school counselor about the situation with Fredrick, believing he could handle everything by himself. Perhaps this book could be a good springboard for discussion with teens.
Bullying is indeed a serious issue and as you said, this book will indeed serve as a good springboard for discussion with teens. Thank you for reading and commenting.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”