Official Review: Minutemen 2041 by Chris Momb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Minutemen 2041 by Chris Momb

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Minutemen 2041" by Chris Momb.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Minutemen 2041 (Alien Onslaught) by Chris Momb is an action-packed sci-fi novel set in the near future. The narrative transports readers to a dystopian reality where every now and then, human-eating aliens break from their portals and underground hives to feed, leaving great chaos and destruction in their wake.

It’s the year 2041 to be precise, and much of the world has been invaded by aliens. As a counter-measure for the take-over that began seventeen years ago, every citizen must undergo military training while those who are fifteen and older are heavily armed and required to help in combating the recurring alien incursions. At seventeen years old, Tommy has only ever known the destabilized, alien-infested world. Thus, when the incursion alarms sound throughout his city, he is somewhat prepared when he is finally called to serve. This leads him on his first face-to-face battle with the extraterrestrials. While fighting the aliens, Tommy stumbles onto a strange and mysterious object that opens up a can of worms that immediately hurls him down a rabbit hole. Will Tommy be able to worm his way out of the dangers this new discovery brings? Will he understand the purpose and significance of the strange object? Finally, will the aliens ever be defeated?

One of the narrative’s strongest points has to be its commendable world building. The author’s writing style and use of details hauled me into the world of the characters. I could feel the suffocating governance and surveillance of the citizens. I shared the characters’ terror when the man-eating aliens attacked. Just like the characters in the novel, I, too, strangely grew accustomed to the regular citizens, including the teenagers spotting military grade weaponry and armory, and I was a little impressed by their world’s considerably advanced technology. All in all, I appreciated that all these aspects of the narrative were vividly described, as it made me feel as though I was a part of it as a silent character. In addition, the main character and supporting characters were well-defined and believable, which made it easy for me to become invested in the narrative and genuinely care for the characters.

I found the plot intriguing, and once the mystery and suspense elements of the narrative kicked in, I was hooked and could not stop turning pages. The action and battles that graced every few pages or so made for a more thrilling read. In addition, I appreciated the unexpected but relevant historical tidbits incorporated into the narrative. I also liked the relationship dynamics between the characters and the fluid dialogues between them.

The narrative covered a number of themes, such as friendship, romance, betrayal, and political conspiracy, all of which added to the main story. Every chapter opened with a quote, most of which made a statement about politics and war, the rules of government, the US second amendment, liberty, and enlightenment. The constant emphasis on pro-gun sentiments through these quotes and parts of the narrative may isolate and overwhelm those with differing views.

Overall, this could have been a fast-paced read from start to finish. However, there was so much focus on specific details about the different types of guns (weaponry) and their capabilities that it slowed the pace down for me. From the descriptions, there’s no doubt that the author is an expert and has a vast knowledge of guns and military-level weaponry and protocol. Therefore, I can definitely see gun enthusiasts and those with a keen interest in the military appreciating the level of intricate detail in that regard.

Despite being well-written, I encountered a significant number of noticeable errors, such as missing words (mostly prepositions), unnecessary articles, and typographical errors. The novel could use another round of editing; therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Fans of sci-fi novels that focus on the use of arms and alien invasions will enjoy this one. The novel works as a standalone, though the ending leaves room for an exciting sequel.

Minutemen 2041
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Grr!! I dislike my dystopian reads to be interrupted by so many seemingly unimportant (at least to me) details! I personally don't care what type of weapon they are using or how exactly it breaks down. :) Still, it sounds like an intriguing premise, and I may have to look it up. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
nmd266
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nmd266 »

Grr!! I dislike my dystopian reads to be interrupted by so many seemingly unimportant (at least to me) details! I personally don't care what type of weapon they are using or how exactly it breaks down. Still, it sounds like an intriguing premise, and I may have to look it up. Thanks!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This is not the genre of book that normally appeals to me, but this review makes me want to try it anyway. This review is well-written and compelling to the end- great job!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Thank you for this. While I appreciate the skill needed to tell this kind of story, it doesn’t really appeal, so I will pass on this one. There seem to be so many books of this genre around these days, so I’m certain others will enjoy it. Thanks anyway.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

A book that has many to offer really is what am after. This book will do just that as it covers so many themes. Really seems like you enjoyed youself with this. Thanks for the review.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I will love this book as it offer much details of the weaponery used. Am a fan of such. Thanks for the detailed review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”