Official Review: Underneath by M.N. Arzu

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Underneath by M.N. Arzu

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Underneath" by M.N. Arzu.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A merman washes ashore in Maine, injured and unconscious. How do you fix a man with a tail? How do you keep him from being swallowed up by the US government never to be seen again? How do you thwart the media circus that is sure to follow his trail? Where did he come from, and are there others like him? If so, are they going to try to get him back?

Underneath is book one in The Under Series by M.N. Arzu. It's a little over 300 pages and falls into the science fiction/fantasy genre. The book explores what would happen if merfolk really did exist in today's world.

This story seemed to set the scene for the series as a whole. We are introduced to the major players in both the mermaid world and the human world. We get glimpses of life as a mermaid but not much factual information. That's not to say, though, that the story didn't have merit by itself. Indeed, I was intrigued and entertained throughout. The author drops hints all through the story of things that will come later in the series. This whet my appetite for more, making me want to snatch up the second book before I was even done with the first. Very clever on the part of the author.

The ending was just what it should be in a series such as this. Without giving anything away, I will say that it wasn't really a cliffhanger. Most of the plot was wrapped up in a nice, neat, little box. However, because of the foreshadowing that the author does during the novel, you still want to read the next in the series. I loved that as so many authors simply rely on breaking up what should be one story into two.

As for the characters, it was a nice mix of the good, bad and indifferent. Some of the characters you wanted to congratulate; some you wanted to hit over the head with a baseball bat. The story was told from the third person with many different participants to follow. Nevertheless, I never was in doubt as to which character was speaking.

I rate Underneath 4 out of 4 stars. There were very few errors, and the book as a whole was entertaining. This is one of those books that there just isn't much to talk about because everything was so well-written. Nothing was particularly noticeable because it wasn't supposed to be notable. Any science fiction/fantasy fans will enjoy this one immensely as well as those who enjoy a good mermaid tale. It won't be particularly attractive if you don't like much mythology in your stories. I, however, can't wait to find out more about these merfolk and their society! Will there be continued interactions between humans and merfolk?

Underneath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

As for the characters, it was a nice mix of the good, bad and indifferent. Some of the characters you wanted to congratulate; some you wanted to hit over the head with a baseball bat.
I am bowled over by your review. I will like to meet these "indifferent" characters. :P This book has a unique premise and based on your review, has an entertaining plot. I will have it to pin it to the top of my TR list.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Ah, the fascinating topic of merfolk! I'd join you in commending the author on wrapping the book up well while letting the reader know of the stored surprises in future books in the series. Too often you can see that books have been arbitrarily broken up to make a trilogy, which is a bit of a con really.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Ohhh, nice concept. Glad to hear that there's a resolution to this even though it's setting up a series. Still, it would be nice to have it fully edited. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 01:05
As for the characters, it was a nice mix of the good, bad and indifferent. Some of the characters you wanted to congratulate; some you wanted to hit over the head with a baseball bat.
I am bowled over by your review. I will like to meet these "indifferent" characters. :P This book has a unique premise and based on your review, has an entertaining plot. I will have it to pin it to the top of my TR list.
Have you never had people in your life that you were indifferent to? I don't know... Maybe it's just me. In any case, it was a good blend of types of people. Definitely well-written. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 03:09 Ah, the fascinating topic of merfolk! I'd join you in commending the author on wrapping the book up well while letting the reader know of the stored surprises in future books in the series. Too often you can see that books have been arbitrarily broken up to make a trilogy, which is a bit of a con really.
Exactly! This was different and quite refreshing. It was brilliant, really! Thanks for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 03:47 Ohhh, nice concept. Glad to hear that there's a resolution to this even though it's setting up a series. Still, it would be nice to have it fully edited. Thanks for the review!
There were only a couple of mistakes here and there. It was well-done as far as the editing. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The merman plot sounds really intriguing. It sounds like an interesting read and I can tell you enjoyed it. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Cecilia_L! I'm looking forward to seeing what the next book has to offer.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book has a very entertaining plot from your review. And the author has succeeded in making readers want to read the other books in the series. Thank you for this review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Although books in a series are designed to be read in order- for obvious reasons- I prefer when each book stands alone and is still able to be enjoyed if you haven't managed to get hold of the previous ones first. Good review!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I must say, I’m fascinated that the imagination these authors have! A series about mer-folk is strange and unexpected , to say the least, so before I dismiss it as ‘not my thing’ I think I need to have a closer look. Many thanks for this.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

This sounds so intriguing; I personally think it's quite refreshing seeing a merman being the focus rather than a mermaid. I like the fact that the author wraps up the story rather then split it up, it can be so frustrating when that happens sometimes. Thanks for the review!
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Emi_Review wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 07:30 This sounds so intriguing; I personally think it's quite refreshing seeing a merman being the focus rather than a mermaid.
I agree with that, what a nice change!

I'm sending the link to this review to my niece who, as almost an adult, still wants to be a mermaid. Maybe she WAS one in a previous life. :)
I've never been all that enamored of mermaid, merman, merpeople stories and myths myself, but this sounds like something I would like to read anyway. Mostly because of the comment about having to beware of researchers and the government getting hold of him. I've thought about that before reading time travel books because I know I'd certainly be extremely intrigued, and would hope someone would get more information. Discovering real Merfolk would be just as exciting.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

Your review was fantastic. I've never read a book about merepeople, but I think I need to change that. I definately want to add this book to my bookshelf.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”