Official Review: Indigo: A Short Story by R.M. Demeester

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Indigo: A Short Story by R.M. Demeester

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Indigo: A Short Story" by R.M. Demeester.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The last time she had seen a dog like that, he nearly took her face off. Still, she had no reason to be afraid of the police officer holding the dog. She had done nothing wrong. Author R.M. Demeester tells the suspenseful story of Indigo and her friends in the short story Indigo.

Indigo moved into the homeless community by the river after she was kicked out of the homeless shelter. The community known as Leper Paradise was better anyway. The shelter had too many rules. The housewives living in the nearby mansions must have been unhappy with Leper Paradise because the rich snobs called the police. The community was raided causing Indigo to lose track of her friends, Bobby and Sarah. She had to find Sarah. Without Leper Paradise, Sarah would move on, and Indigo would most likely never see her again. By chance, Indigo found Bobby first. Bobby shares fascinating news with Indigo. He discovered a watch that possesses powers that will change both of their lives forever.

This short story is a very good start. There are likable characters and an interesting storyline. Unfortunately, it reads like the summary of the first chapter of a novel. There is not enough detail to create a full picture. I’m not sure of Indigo’s age. She seems like a teenager, but this is never made clear. Furthermore, the most important object in the story changes from a pocket watch to a stopwatch. The change shattered my mental picture and caused slight confusion. There is potential for a hit young adult novel here, but the story requires some work and added detail. Still, I was fully invested in Indigo’s story. I liked her as soon as she was introduced. Her motivation is clear and relatable, and she is a strong lead character.

This is a well-written, well-edited, and well-organized book. There is not one grammar error to be found, aside from the issue with the changing watch. The story is told with understandable language and flows seamlessly from scene to scene creating a pleasant reading experience. I recommend this book to fiction readers who enjoy young adult and coming-of-age stories.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This author and story have great potential. There is just too much that is missing from the story. As a reader, I was left with many questions and wanting more. If the main character is, in fact, a teenager, Indigo is a perfect young adult heroine.

Indigo: A Short Story
View: on Bookshelves

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I like that this book is well-written, well-edited, and well-organized, but since it doesn't have much more to it than that I think I will have to pass on reading it. I don't like the there isn't enough detail. Hopefully the author will take that into considering with future books.
Mac :techie-reference:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

There is certainly a good market in young adult fiction about real people, as I hope the vampires and angel-kids have had their day. This sounds like a story line with a lot of potential, so perhaps the author will be encouraged by your review to rework it.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This will be a lovely book to read about thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Seems like an interesting premise for a story, but a little more detail may make it a better read. I like the cover. Thanks for the review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”