Review by Laura3 -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Laura3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura3.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Review by Laura3 -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Laura3 » 01 Oct 2018, 16:13

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sonya is a tough biker who chooses to leave her gang at her own physical peril. Trey is a bored and struggling scientist who has an invention that would make him abundantly rich, but he knows that it has great potential to bring mass devastation. In a bizarre twist of fate, Sonya and Trey become an unlikely pair in the throes of a dangerous criminal enterprise.

The characters are intriguing. I want the protagonists to find their peace and fulfillment. The villains are effectively detestable and depraved. The book contains a generous amount of chaos, which is at times strangely humorous. The author describes imagery, chaos, and occasionally fashion in very sophisticated ways. He uses words I do not usually see or hear, whetting my curiosity for new vocabulary. The language of the characters is often unrealistically clean, which is suitable for readers who dislike profanity. The book contains the words "hell," "damn," and "wanker," but I do not believe the language would offend most religious or secular people.

It is exciting to make predictions and form questions. It is enthralling to speculate how certain villains are made. Did they once have conventional morals? What changed them? Even if my questions are never answered, the writing provokes speculation, regardless of the author's  intentions.

There were stretches that I found tedious. I was often strangely bored with the chaos, but I appreciate the sophisticated description. Chaos was often described at length. I tended to get the gist of what was happening. It was often more detailed than I wanted. I often had trouble forming pictures in my mind. Some descriptions would  make more sense to those with good vocabulary of aircraft, rotorcraft, and other technical vocabulary. At times, the author might be using language more familiar to those with military background than those without military background. I often needed to reread parts in order to continue the story without confusion. Sometimes, I could not get a complete understanding, but I could get a general understanding.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not always form clear pictures of what was happening, but I was interested enough to finish the book in order to learn the fates of the characters. The book is as good as many books I had enjoyed. I noticed less than ten errors. If there are more, they are not obvious.

This story could appeal to those who have affection for sympathetic underdogs. Mood changes are often drastic and abrupt. Characters experience a wide range of emotions. Readers who love literary wild rides and unrealistic events would enjoy this book.

Some parts would be a little bit challenging to read for those who have difficulty with technical and uncommon vocabulary. The quality of the characters' quotes do not tend to be used in popular movies and TV shows. Writers  of such productions would probably find them cliché. Some readers may agree.

This book would be worthwhile to many, but the world of books is highly competitive.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Laura3's review? Post a comment saying so!

Shani1219
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shani1219 » 03 Oct 2018, 07:47

Your thoughts are perfect and you're right

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”