Official Review: Beware of memories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Official Review: Beware of memories

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beware of memories" by Patrick K. Jaynes Phd. & Darlien c. breeze.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"An overloaded mind is less likely to notice a little misstep." These were the thoughts of one of the aliens in her quest to manipulate humans to carry on with the project they (aliens) believed would save the planet. The aliens behind the idea of inventing the memory machine called the halo were Gordon, Teresa, Cameron, Gunther, Jeanett, Christian and Simone.

Beware Of Memories is a science fiction/fantasy book written by Patrick K. Jaynes and Darlien C. Breeze. The story focuses on the memories that were retrieved by clients of Lifetime Memories facility and the murder investigation of Lord Niall Andrew Wooten. People that were being used as the co-founders of Lifetime Memories company were the scientist, Dr Peter Kirby and an accountant, Stuart Breckenridge. Some of the clients's relived memories using the halo consisted of thriller, romance and adventure. These memories included Juan Montoya Alvarez torturing Guzman, Niall Andrew Wooten defending a boy from bullies, Stuart's affair with Haruka, Vicky's adventure in the wilderness of Tanzania and Pedro's first meeting with Guri. What I wanted to know was: how would the aliens's "halo" project save the earth? There was more to Lifetime Memories than what met the eye. The mystery and suspense in this alien facility had my eyes glued to the pages.

Meanwhile, in accordance with Chief Inspector Layton Abbott's orders, Deputy Inspector Gardner Poole and his team of six detectives joined hands with a professional law enforcement agent, Emma, to investigate the murder of a British viscount and a former British Deputy Prime Minister, Lord Niall Andrew Wooten. During this investigation, the suspects started to die. The question is, who was killing them? Now, the detectives's work was piling up.

The themes in the book were thoroughly explored. These included regret, betrayal, grief and love. When investigating the murder, Gardner and his team employed all possible measures. They were really determined to find answers, which made the story even more real and appealing. Again, I was able to connect well with the characters that I found myself getting emotional and sympathizing with Peter for what Simone did to him. I also enjoyed the fact that every character's thoughts were included in the story. This made it easier to get to the bottom of why someone embarked on a certain action.

I would rate Beware Of Memories 3 out of 4 stars because, while it was a good read with no visible grammar errors, it was slow-paced. It spent too much time providing the characters's extensive background: the first nine pages of the book were only about Emma, who then disappeared for one hundred and nineteen pages. This made me impatient as I wanted to read about the investigation progress, Lifetime Memories and its clients, or at least something related to one of them. What disappointed me more was that even the last pages of the book had nothing to do with these topics. It did not end with a good cliff-hanger that could have made it interesting enough to crave for the second installation of Beware Of Memories series.

Moreover, the beginning of the book was difficult to understand. With almost every chapter starting with a different story, I found it hard to grasp the main plot until several chapters later, when everything fell into place. For example, chapter 1 started with Emma reliving her desired memory, chapter 2 is about Peter and his team inventing "the halo," and chapter 5 comprised the murder mystery case.

The story will be enjoyed by lovers of science fiction, murder mystery, romance, thriller, action, humour and adventure. There are a few strong words and explicit sex scenes here and there, so I recommend the book to people above the age of 16.

Beware of memories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Khathibe's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Thanks for this review, Rosemary. I understand that authors like to provide lots of background information and to introduce new characters or situations into the story at the beginning, but it can get confusing and a bit tedious until it comes together. I must confess to having abandoned books like this as being 'just too hard'. Good work!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Caylie_Cat wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 23:43 Thanks for this review, Rosemary. I understand that authors like to provide lots of background information and to introduce new characters or situations into the story at the beginning, but it can get confusing and a bit tedious until it comes together. I must confess to having abandoned books like this as being 'just too hard'. Good work!
I almost abandoned this book too, but once everything added up, I found myself enjoying it. Thanks for passing by😊.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

Great review! This seems like a really good book. I would love to read this one. It reminds me of Oblivion Threshold which is a great book too.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Noraine Alissa Poria wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 01:06 Great review! This seems like a really good book. I would love to read this one. It reminds me of Oblivion Threshold which is a great book too.
It really is a good book once you get deep into it. Thanks for commenting.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

A nice well-rounded review. However, I do not think the book is my cup of tea
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Book Raider08
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-raider08.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Book Raider08 »

Great review! I might try to read this one.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Wonderful summary. Sounds like a very interesting book. I like the cover. Thank you for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Benard200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Benard200 »

Nice review. I think will try read it tonight
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Great job summarizing a book that apparently had tons of different things going on. Interesting concept for a book using recovered memories as the basis for different. Sounds a little too disjointed for me but thanks for the great review!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Great review. You really did justice to this review and it appeals to me. This will be a great book to read.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It seems to be an interesting read. Also, the cover really drew my attention.

Thank you for the great review.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Awesome review. The story line seems interesting enough and I love the themes. I can't say I'm very excited to read it though. A slow-paced murder-mystery just isn't my cup of tea.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The story will be enjoyed by lovers of science fiction, murder mystery, romance, thriller, action, humour and adventure. There are a few strong words and explicit sex scenes here and there,

Sounds like my kind of story. Definitely going to read this
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a fascinating read. I would love to read this also and find out what the aliens were planning to do so as to save the planet. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”