Official Review: The Blue Raven by JD Beales

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: The Blue Raven by JD Beales

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blue Raven" by JD Beales.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if your world was turned upside and you realized the existence of supernatural creatures? What if your life was at risk? What would you do? Through the themes of revenge, homosexuality, family, and death, the young adult fantasy read, The Blue Raven by J.D. Beales, takes readers to another type of world.

Sixteen-year-old Dylan Andrews isn’t the most popular or well-liked kid in high school. However, one day, he stumbles upon another dimension, giving him the power of creation. No longer afraid of the bullies in school, Dylan’s attitude and confidence changes.

When Dylan meets Matthew Stadding, suddenly his life is turned upside down. Not only does feelings stir inside of him toward this sweet young man, he learns about the true dangers of Morphed Ones, Humanoids, shapeshifting, and so much more. Can Dylan and Matthew stop the evil ones trying to destroy Earth and the other dimensions?

Told in the third-person omniscient perspective, readers are introduced to quite a number of characters. Regrettably, all the characters here were one-dimensional and weren’t given backgrounds. In turn, it made it difficult to care about any of them. The other aspect that made the text challenging was the long-winded, complicated names some of the characters and creatures were given. For example, Craheaantugh, Otrtecwuar, Ecerrhhethgutaa, Rcuroafhhgutnaae, Ghinhankaagf, and others were merely a few included. Keeping track of these peculiar names took away from the story and potential enjoyment.

Though there was much action within this very short book, the amount of content presented became overwhelming. Not only were there times when readers weren’t given a chance to breathe, the plethora of storylines presented led to choppiness to the overarching plot.

In addition, themes were presented in a very weak fashion. The essence of revenge was there, but it seemed superficial. Also, the theme of homosexuality was almost nonexistent, given a few very small scenes. When looking at the theme of death, the reaction to those deaths were so quick I had to reread certain sections to confirm certain deaths actually occurred. In general, the over-the-top action sequences, unfortunately, overshadowed the book's themes.

Lastly, the number of errors presented leads me to believe the book was not professionally edited. Errors varied from punctuational issues, fragments, inconsistent name usage (“Raven” versus “Revan”), misused words, misspelled words, and capitalization issues.

Considering all the above, I have no choice but to give The Blue Raven a 1 out of 4 stars. In its current state, I cannot truthfully recommend this book to anyone.

The Blue Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

'Tis a pity that the book has so many negatives because I love the idea of visiting another dimension, thereby leading the characters to learn new things...I'll hope for a revised edition so I can read it. Thanks for the review!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

MsTri wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 11:11 'Tis a pity that the book has so many negatives because I love the idea of visiting another dimension, thereby leading the characters to learn new things...I'll hope for a revised edition so I can read it. Thanks for the review!
Yes, it is a pity, and I also hope that a revised version will come out. No worries, thank you for reading! :tiphat:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

Thank you for taking the time to review this book as it has saved many of us from a poor ordeal.

I hope the author takes your critique on board and uses it to strengthen their writing on a second boom. I also hope they stick with a similar theme as I like the concepts but I couldn't put myself through the efforts you have just described.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 16:01 Thank you for taking the time to review this book as it has saved many of us from a poor ordeal.

I hope the author takes your critique on board and uses it to strengthen their writing on a second boom. I also hope they stick with a similar theme as I like the concepts but I couldn't put myself through the efforts you have just described.
Thank you reading and for your thoughts. :tiphat:

I also hope the author improves their second time around because the premise seemed like a good one.
Heidi

Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

It has been interesting to read a 'less than glowing' book review for a change. It cannot be an easy task, yet you have tackled this systematically and honestly and provided the author and editor(s) with consecutive criticisms which I hope will result in a revised version of this story. Many thanks for this - it was most enlightening.
Samantha Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-powell.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samantha Powell »

This looks like it has the potential to be a good story. I don't think I would enjoy it in it's present state with the issues you mentioned though.

Good job on giving an honest, well written review!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Those names are completely unnecessary. What a distraction. The storyline had potential; I'm so sorry it fell flat.
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

This is a prime example of how you can not judge a book by the cover. The description seems like a great concept, yet it was delivered so poorly. Thanks for the honest review.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

Wow. What on earth made the author decide to use such strange names? This book sounds unreadable in it's current state. Thanks for a comprehensive review.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Fantasy books aren't my favorites, and this one doesn't seem to have enough positives to make me want to try reading it. Thanks for your honest review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Those names! It's like a cat stepped on the keyboard and generated random letters. I like the premise, and like Ms. Tri, I think I'd like to read this once it's edited. Thanks for the insight and information!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”