Review by Celina_ -- Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Celina_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celina.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Review by Celina_ -- Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Celina_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wow! What an amazing read. I was immersed in Chasing the Red Queen and found it hard to put the book down. I had an air of excitement and eagerness to keep on reading to find out what happens to all the characters. There was a constant temptation to skip to the last page, which I resisted.

Chasing the Red Queen is an intense romantic love story that centers on the life of Donja Bellanger and her family. After the death of her father, Donja and her brother Frankie are forced to move to Hampton Manor in Sault Ste. Marie when her mother Lisa remarries. Donja must leave behind her best friend, her Grandmother Anna, her identity as she knows it, and everything that she has grown up with. Through Makayla, Donja’s stepsister, and her boyfriend Gage, Donja is introduced to a life of prestige, and the supernatural world of Iridescents and Torin Mancini. With Torin by her side, Donja learns of her Native American tribal Ojibwe/Chippewa bloodline and Durent clan heritage that spans generations. Hidden family secrets and traditional local spirit stories are revealed, putting Donja and her family’s life in grave danger.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

There are minor grammatical and spelling errors, but these did not detract from the flow of reading it. The book was so well written and easy to follow.

Chasing the Red Queen is for anyone who needs to escape from the daily grind of life. It is for anyone who enjoys fictional vampire fantasy and romance stories, in the tradition of the Twilight Saga series, without the werewolves. This book reminds me of the love between Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, and the lengths the Cullen family will go to, to ensure Bella’s survival as Edward’s chosen mate, as Bella is part of the Cullen family. I found similarities in the storyline between Chasing the Red Queen and Twilight Saga’s unrealistic love couplings. However, there was a familiar comfort in being sucked into Torin and Donja’s, Makayla and Gage’s and Anna and Antonio’s intense romantic love stories that I did not want to miss.

What I also loved about the book was the inclusion of local traditional Ojibwe/Chippewa knowledge, historical truth and spiritual beliefs of the Miigis and Midewiwin (medicine men), that feature in the storytelling. These additions add to the mystery of the story.

A warning for potential readers: There is vividly described hot and steamy moments that spark initial shock into the world of mild eroticism. Eroticism in the tradition of the Fifty Shades of Grey book that is not to be missed. However, be warned, sex, brutality, sadism, rape of considered minors (in accordance with the law in some countries), mutilation and violence does appear quite heavily in the book. Despite these atrocities, I still enjoyed reading the book and would recommend it.

Chasing The Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Celina_'s review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”