Official Review: The Pygmy Dragon by Marc Secchia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: The Pygmy Dragon by Marc Secchia

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pygmy Dragon" by Marc Secchia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pygmy Dragon: Shapeshifter Dragon Legends Book 1 by Marc Secchia drew me in as soon as I saw the artwork on the book cover – a striking bronze beautiful woman in the process of transmuting into a dragon. According to the author's biography on Amazon.com, he is ‘a South African-born dragon masquerading as an author, who loves writing about dragons and Africa…’. As improbable as that sound, after reading this book I believe him. However, this fantasy novel is not set in Africa, but rather an Island-World created just for this story. Not surprisingly, this story is one where we expect the hero to rise from obscurity and defeat a great evil that threatens the entire world. What we get is a novel that takes this clichéd premise and gives us a genuinely fun reading experience.

I was highly impressed by Secchia’s storytelling prowess. I was invested in the story from the first page of the prologue to the last page of the 34th and final chapter. This novel is actually a copy of a scroll written by Pip’úrth’l-iòlall-Yò’oótha, most commonly referred to as Pip. Pip recounts how she ended up living in a Zoo caged with a humongous ape after she was captured during a raid on her Pygmy village by ‘the big people’. The Pygmy people are characterized as being short, dark-skinned people. This is reminiscent of the Trans-Atlantic chattel slave trade because the ‘big people’ are white persons who consider the pygmy as wild beast. I was upset with the ‘big people’ who were obviously not ‘big’ enough to realize that humans can be drastically different with regards to Skin complexion and cultural expressions.

After years of living in the zoo, Pip is hungry to be acknowledged as a human being. However, when she is rescued by the red dragon Zardon, she soon finds out that she is not just human. It is no spoiler to state that Pip can shapeshift into a bronze dragon. Pip is an amazing character that I will remember for years to come. Despite being abused for years, she was able to keep her good-natured personality. The other characters are also quite memorable. Unfortunately, I could not like most of them. All of them made fun of Pip’s short stature despite knowing that she has a Napoleon complex. The joke felt overused after a while and made some of them seem insensitive, especially Maylin, one of Pip’s human friends. The fact that I was able to garner feelings for the various character is a testimony of the author's character development skills.

There was nothing that I could complain about with regards to the formatting. Every chapter had a fun title. The flow of the story was not rushed, nor was it too slow. I am confident that this work was professionally edited because it was close to 400 pages long and I could not identify any major grammatical issue. I was pleased with the ending. I don’t want to give any spoilers, so I will just say that it was an ideal ending for the first book in a two book series.

In conclusion, I rate The Pygmy Dragon 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this novel to all fantasy fiction enthusiasts.

The Pygmy Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
centj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by centj »

I really love dragons story's I'm a writer and I have a dragon story going on in my book.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This sounds like an amazing book I'll like to read. Hardly do I come across books such as this. Knowing she's being subject to the social stereotyping, how she was able to keep her good personality is going to make this worth the read.
Thank you for an awesome rebiewy
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

A book written by an African-born dragon is certain to be an intriguing read. Additionally, short people jokes are annoying, but at least Pip can set them straight in her dragon form! I would definitely give this book a read if I get the chance, and I agree that the cover is quite attention grabbing. Thank you for your honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I agree that the cover is gorgeous. It makes you want to know who is this person. I love shapeshifters. I love sci-fi with characters of color as they are often not main characters in sci-fi. Also, I like the comparison with slavery. It reminds me of N. K Jemsin and how she weaves current societal problems into her fantasy worlds. Thank you for your review, it has convinced to add this to my want to read list.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

What we get is a novel that takes this clichéd premise and gives us a genuinely fun reading experience
I am sold on your review to check out this fun read. Thanks for the review!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It would be great to finally reach a point where characters of colour can be represented in fiction without the inclusion of white supremacy, slavery and related forms of discrimination. Nonetheless, this sounds like a good read. I might just check it out. Thanks for the review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I have never read about a shapeshifter turning from human into the dragon; usually, it's about turning into a wolf. Apparently, this is the first book for that and I surely would like to have this to my to-be-read list. Thanks for your great review! :tiphat:
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

This sounds like a brilliant read. Just knowing the author is storytelling about himself being a dragon makes the book interesting already and I love the artwork too.

I like the fantasy element m, the sound of the characters and the fact that they are well developed. The world building sounds good, the length will keep the characters with me for a while. What's not to enjoy?

Thanks for the review. Very well written.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Washington mima
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Washington mima »

The book seems intresting and enjoyable,talking about a dragon girl who is not just a pygmy but also has extra ordinary powers.its all about the roots from Africa in the southern part,i really love the way the author has written the book.its avery nice story you will always want to read and the cover itself tells you how intresting is the story
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

You are right, the artwork on this cover is beautiful! I enjoy shape-shifting stories and am especially excited that this one contains a dragon. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the review!
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I am definitely intrigued. Will be adding this to my lost as one to read due to the fact its about a dragon shifter. And stang at 5ft 2in i can somewhat already relate to pip. Thanks for the share.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A fantasy revolving around a human that can turn from into a dragon is right up my alley! Ending up in a zoo with a humongous ape as a companion sounds exciting. That the book was well edited is a plus. I love dragon tales and will give it a try. I hope the book stands on its own, despite being part of a series. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

I added and will definitely read. Dragons, shapeshifters and it sounds like a good storyline. Thanks for the great review.
safah26121990
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-safah26121990.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by safah26121990 »

This doesn't sound like something I would enjoy reading.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”