Review by Calypso Terrier -- Chrome Mountain

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calypso-terrier.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review by Calypso Terrier -- Chrome Mountain

Post by Calypso Terrier » 22 Sep 2018, 15:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine flying over roads on a motorcycle while pursued by a ruthless biker gang, creating a powerful and deadly new invention, being kidnapped by the world’s most unstoppable and notorious terrorist group, and jumping out of a soaring airplane in an outrageous escape plan. Imagine all of this happening in the course of one week. With brilliant storytelling and exciting characters, Chrome Mountain is an action-packed book bringing you in for a thrill.

Sonya is a bold and tough girl fleeing from a dangerous biker gang she was once a part of. She has evaded them for over a year, but the gang is suddenly back on her track. Trey is a brilliant and innovative scientist who has created the world’s first effective invisibility cloak. With a leak of information, the infamous terrorist group, Chrome Falcon, are on Trey’s trail for his invention. Unexpectedly, Sonya and Trey’s divergent lives collide together, and the real action begins. Sonya and Trey are now the most wanted people in the world- by the government authorities, the terrorists of Chrome Falcon, and the infamous biker gang Sonya was once a part of. Together, Sonya and Trey must find a way to survive what their futures hold.

I really appreciate how the author spent his time creating deep and complex backstories for all of the characters, not just the main protagonists. Each character in the book has a unique point of view and personality. Sonya and Trey’s lives are very different, but they fit together nicely. The pair are able to work together well, which helps them evade the Chrome Falcon terrorists. I found it interesting how Chrome Mountain includes a lot of Christianity. Sonya becomes a Christian as the story progresses, but she adopts the religion rather quickly and without much thought. Even though some of the characters are Christian, they contradicted many Christian values. This extra detail in the story was sometimes unnecessary. I felt that it didn’t belong in a fast-paced action book including explosions, shootings, and lots of combat.

Something that I didn’t particularly enjoy about Chrome Mountain is that some parts are culturally offending. One of the antagonists of the story is a Filipina woman, and the author repeatedly states her race throughout the story. Sometimes, she is called “the Asian” instead of her name. Additionally, the author is insensitive about body types. There are times when fat people are mistreated and hurt just because of their body size. In one scene, Trey and Sonya are laughing at a fat woman falling asleep in her motorized shopping cart. This detail was unneeded and hurtful. If the author had been more sensitive towards different types of people, Chrome Mountain would have been a more enjoyable read.

Overall, Chrome Mountain was an electrifying book to read. The story grabbed me in and was never boring. There is fast-paced paced action and combat, as well as many plot twists. I felt like I was right alongside with Sonya and Trey in their exciting adventures. If not for the cultural and body type insensitivity, this book would be ideal and fit for more readers. Because Chrome Mountain has a lot of combat, it is not fit for young readers. I recommend this book to high schoolers and young adults who are mature enough for some of the concepts. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, and I genuinely enjoyed reading through the exhilarating journey of Sonya and Trey.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Calypso Terrier's review? Post a comment saying so!

CasualBookReader
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: Priest Turned Therapist Treats Fear Of God
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casualbookreader.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by CasualBookReader » 23 Sep 2018, 19:18

Sounds a little like that television series Sons of Anarchy. That was a gritty show and Chrome Mountain sounds like it's just as gritty and has several plot twists.

jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

Post by jcoad » 24 Sep 2018, 19:48

Each review I read of this book is a little different. All agree there is quite a bit going on and lots of action. I still can't decide on this one as seems like the story may be a little "ragged". Thanks for the thorough review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”