Official Review: A Reunion in Time by Russell F. Moran

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: A Reunion in Time by Russell F. Moran

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Reunion in Time" by Russell F. Moran.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Reunion in Time is an interesting science fiction novel written by Russell F. Moran.

The year is 2021. Three individuals in their thirties: Rick, an FBI agent in charge of New York Counterterrorism Task Force; Ellen, an architect and a partner in a big New York architectural firm; and Jack, an author and journalist writing an article for the Washington Times, disappear in a construction site on the way to Holy Cross High School within hours of each other. They show up in their teenage bodies in the year 2001, a few days before the attack on the World Trade Center in September 11. Apparently, they travel twenty years back in time.

Though Rick, his wife Ellen, and Jack do not come within the same day, they share the same experience of walking through a construction site, stepping on a grate and appearing in a different year in their younger bodies. They also offer the same warning about an attack on the World Trade Center in their attempt to stop the horrible event from happening. Naturally, no one believes them.

While trying to figure out a way back to 2021 with the help of Brother Francis, the Dean of Men of Holy Cross High School and Dr. Max Thorndike, a leading expert on time travel, the three seemingly young people visit Ellen’s uncle, a novelist who writes about time travel and who introduces them to another time traveler who knows about something he calls a ‘doomsday material’.

Told in alternating perspectives between first-person points of view of Rick and Ellen and third-person point of view, the book begins with a fast pace that eventually slows down as the plot unravels. A great part of the story explains time travel and the possibility of such phenomenon. In view of that, words such as wormhole, time portal, and time-space-continuum are mentioned and so are Einstein-Rosen Bridge and Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity.

The author does a great job in presenting the plot in installment of surprises. It makes the story suspenseful though not in a thrilling but rather in an intriguing kind of way. Settings and events are described in details and characters are easily distinguished from one another. Among the characters, I like Jack the most. He has the ability to make light of whatever situation they are in.

While the most important part of the book, for me, is the question regarding the appropriateness of using knowledge of the future for personal benefit no matter how necessary, the part I like most is the explanation of the ‘slit in the fabric of time.’ I find it convincing.

Admittedly, I enjoyed this book a lot. However, other readers may find the alternating perspectives confusing. Moreover, I find some inconsistencies in the story and the ending a little anticlimactic. Finally, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book which are mostly typo errors.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is very interesting and I recommend it to science fiction fans especially those who enjoy time travel stories.

A Reunion in Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Time travel can go horribly wrong in the hands of an amateur writer. Fortunately, this book seems to be the opposite. From your review, it seems that the book has an engaging plot. Pity it has inconsistencies in the plot along with errors. Thanks for the review!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am reminded of Back to the Future with Marty and Dr. Brown. But this book has no time machine; a grate portal serves as the gateway to the past. I wonder if the visitors from the future will stop 9/11.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I absolutely love the sound of this book. I like how the writer has sent the characters back to different times but with the same warnings to offer. I'm curious to see how they get back and what has altered as a result.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 01:10 Time travel can go horribly wrong in the hands of an amateur writer. Fortunately, this book seems to be the opposite. From your review, it seems that the book has an engaging plot. Pity it has inconsistencies in the plot along with errors. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome. It's an enjoyable book despite the flaws.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 07:12 I am reminded of Back to the Future with Marty and Dr. Brown. But this book has no time machine; a grate portal serves as the gateway to the past. I wonder if the visitors from the future will stop 9/11.
The absence of time machine makes the story more convincing, for me :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 12:14 I absolutely love the sound of this book. I like how the writer has sent the characters back to different times but with the same warnings to offer. I'm curious to see how they get back and what has altered as a result.
Thank you for your comment. I hope you get a chance to read it.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

The storyline is intriguing and the author seems to be capable of keeping the reader in a constant state of curiosity. Absence of time machines and time traveling of unsuspecting citizens who went about their mundane tasks make me interested in reading this book. I'm sure all who have an interest in time traveling will find this book to their liking.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 16:35 The storyline is intriguing and the author seems to be capable of keeping the reader in a constant state of curiosity. Absence of time machines and time traveling of unsuspecting citizens who went about their mundane tasks make me interested in reading this book. I'm sure all who have an interest in time traveling will find this book to their liking.
So true. The idea of a 'slit in the fabric of time' is really intriguing. It means it can happen to anybody at the right place at the right time.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I like time travel books and I'm interested in reading this one. I love the plot. Thank you for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 00:08 I like time travel books and I'm interested in reading this one. I love the plot. Thank you for the review!
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”