Official Review: Twilight City by James Richardson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: Twilight City by James Richardson

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twilight City" by James Richardson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Overcoming such a horrendous past and making something good out of it." This quote highlighted the greatest lesson James Richardson imparted to the readers of his book, Twilight City. The story was centered on the whereabouts and journey of Edward before and after he learned to shapeshift into a silver werewolf.

In 1752, half man, half wolf creatures were attacking Edward's cabin which was located at the Black Forest in Germany. His children's laughter turned into horrific screams and cries. Despite his fear, he fought a very good fight, but he was not able to avoid a creature's fangs from sinking into his shoulder. The leader of the pack was impressed by Edward's bravery and took him as a captive. Myth came to life as Edward himself shapeshifted into a silver werewolf. What awaited him in the Twilight City? How did he overcome such a horrendous past and make something good out of it?

Narrated in the writer's omniscient point of view, James Richardson's Twilight City lured the readers into the intertwined realm of science fiction and fantasy. The worldbuilding was magnificent. The characters were shapeshifters but did not act like caricatures. Similar to the Twilight movie, the names Edward, Bella, and Jacob also existed, but in this novel, both Bella and Jacob were werewolves while Edward was previously a mortal who turned into a werewolf after he was marked on his shoulder. Aside from the vampires and werewolves, the characters in this tale included werecats, wererats, werehyenas, werelions, tigers, and elves. The book held a perfect blend of underlying themes of hatred, fear, violence, lust, hunger, vengeance, and greed.

Twilight City by James Richardson was an epic brought to life that highlighted the lustful entails of the werewolves' fear of extinction, an immortal's plot to dominate the mortals' world, and the battle between good and evil. The author's writing style was smooth and easy to follow along. The storyline was unpredictable with neatly inserted flashbacks. The pace was fast but flawlessly transitioned. Edward was my favorite character because he learned to forgive, and he risked his life for a good cause. The female characters were not just ornaments but were gorgeous and daring. Richardson's exceptional ability in flashing various erotic scenes could quench a thirst for sexual gratification. Whether this book was the first installment of the Sons of Cain series (based on the cover) or of the Twilight City series (based on the information about the author on the reviewer's page), the story stopped right where the next sequel would pick it up.

The book was professionally edited, but not error-free. Aside from the spacing, spelling, punctuation, and the grammar errors, there were also run-on sentences, random capitalization, and missing words. The minor errors were distracting because there were plenty of them. Other than the errors which prevented me from giving this book a perfect rating, I don't have anything against the book. I rate Twilight City by James Richardson 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the presence of extremely explicit sexual content, violence, and gore, I have to recommend this book to the mature readers only. Those who have reservations on these matters should better bypass reading the story. Fans of the Twilight movie will find this book delightful.

Twilight City
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. I like reading supernatural books so this sounds like a book I would like. It's a bit odd that the characters are named like the Twilight movies. I'm a fan of Twilight so this is really distracting for me. I feel like I'd keep comparing them if I read the book ...
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for your review. I'm quite delight by this review for giving a perfect summon up about this read. It certainly aroused my interest towards this read.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great review. I love supernatural books and this seems to be very interesting, although I quite agree with Allyseria with regards to the names and comparing them to the Twilight novel
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I like that the book begins in the Black Forest in German, it feels very appropriate for a Grimm-esque supernatural tale. Its a common theme in these types of books for a victim to be the lone survivor in an attack and end up turning into a creature, go on a journey of redemption.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This comes across as a well-done fantasy thriller but what I fail to understand is why the author chose to use the same names as those of the protagonists of Twilight. Thanks for the review!
Mohammed Bssit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mohammed Bssit »

Thanks for your review. It's feels very appropriate for someone supernatural tales
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 20:06 I like that the book begins in the Black Forest in German, it feels very appropriate for a Grimm-esque supernatural tale. Its a common theme in these types of books for a victim to be the lone survivor in an attack and end up turning into a creature, go on a journey of redemption.
So, you're a fan of Grimm's fairy tales. Me, too! 😉

By the way, I went over to your profile, but I haven't seen any book review from you. Why won't you try book reviewing?
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Mohammed Bssit wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 10:00 Thanks for your review. It's feels very appropriate for someone supernatural tales
It's my pleasure.

Thanks for dropping by.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

[quote=Dolor post_id=1019233 time=1537829425 user_id=363055]
[quote=Sakilunamermaid post_id=1018368 time=1537751198 user_id=445750]
I like that the book begins in the Black Forest in German, it feels very appropriate for a Grimm-esque supernatural tale. Its a common theme in these types of books for a victim to be the lone survivor in an attack and end up turning into a creature, go on a journey of redemption.
[/quote]

By the way, I went over to your profile, but I haven't seen any book review from you. Why won't you try book reviewing?
[/quote]

I haven't written a review yet. Been in a rut and haven't read much this year.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Definitely a fantasy type of book. Sounds interesting but I'm not sure my cup of tea. Combine the "erotic" scenes with fantasy and I think I'm out on this book. Thanks for a great review!
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 19:43
Dolor wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 17:50
Sakilunamermaid wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 20:06 I like that the book begins in the Black Forest in German, it feels very appropriate for a Grimm-esque supernatural tale. Its a common theme in these types of books for a victim to be the lone survivor in an attack and end up turning into a creature, go on a journey of redemption.

I haven't written a review yet. Been in a rut and haven't read much this year.
In case you're free and you want to start book reviewing, just read on the Review Team Page on how to join.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I really enjoy supernatural books, and this one sounds like one I would really like to read. Thanks for such a great review!
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

interesting concepts. super intriguing and now on my to read list. Your review was superb and it gave you just enough of the story to wet your lips and want more. Thanks for the share.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”