Official Review: The Awakening by Suzanne Boisvert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Awakening by Suzanne Boisvert

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Awakening" by Suzanne Boisvert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

James Sinclair has heard all his life that he was special. His mother talked often of conspiracy theories, the Knights Templar and his famous ancestor Henry Sinclair. However, he just dismissed her notions as the crazy ravings of a lunatic and treated her as such. But, he's found a diary that is quickly changing his mind.

Lanie Montrose is a star in the music world who used to have an out-of-this-world voice until the drugs took over. Her assistant Ingrid has been by her side, feeding them to her the whole time. She finally frees herself from Ingrid's influence, only to somehow land herself in a psychiatric ward. She starts discovering abilities that she never knew she had and quickly finds herself in over her head.

Suki Carter is Lanie's therapist. She knows she must come to Lanie's aid, but she's having her own issues. Someone dies to deliver a flash drive to her. The contents are otherworldly and surely only a hoax. But, who would take such elaborate measures to set this up? And why would anyone die to protect this jump drive if it's faked?

Somehow, these three characters' fates are intertwined. They must find themselves and each other to rescue the world from the impending evil. How? The Awakening: Fate in Motion by Suzanne Boisvert has the answers.

From the Amazon description, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book. Its talk of aliens and awakenings is intriguing enough to peak my interest but vague enough to not give me a clear indication of what is to come. Alien beings, supernatural powers and government conspiracies come together for a thrilling read. Government conspiracies which include the Knights Templar may not be an extremely original idea, but Ms. Boisvert has re-imagined them in her own unique way.

This book features a bit of something for everyone. From the adventure of traveling to different cities around the world to the action of fighting various enemies along the way to the romance of the ages, there is never a dull moment. While there are adult situations, there are no overly explicit details for which I was thankful. However, there are some scenes that will make your skin crawl with their descriptive nature, so if you are one that is faint of heart, you might want to skip this.

The story is told in the third person perspective following each of the main characters. I enjoyed being able to view the events from different angles as it helped me to see the whole picture coming together in the end. It was easy to tell who we were following as each person had their own unique voice. As for my favorite character? That's a tough one. They all add to the story in a special way. I actually think I was able to see myself in each of them, which to me is the mark of a talented author.

I do have to give a warning about the ending, as I usually do. Yes, this features a cliffhanger. There is a sense of anticipation of what is to come. However, enough of the original story was wrapped up to not leave me frustrated. The author did well at not leaving the story feeling incomplete or unfinished. I merely can't wait to read the second book, as it should be with an ending such as this.

Overall, I would rate The Awakening 4 out of 4 stars. Elements of mystery, action, suspense and romance came together with stunning descriptions and enchanting characters for a novel that was a pleasure to read. If you enjoy aliens, supernatural powers and government conspiracies, this is definitely a book you're going to want to pick up.

The Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I enjoy reading books with characters that I can easily relate to. The review makes me curious to read the book, maybe I can be able to gauge who my favorite character is. Thanks for the awesome review.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love the idea of three different people having to come together to save the world. This one sounds great!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

asere_maryanne wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 02:28 I enjoy reading books with characters that I can easily relate to. The review makes me curious to read the book, maybe I can be able to gauge who my favorite character is. Thanks for the awesome review.
They were just all intriguing in their own ways. If you figure out which one is your favorite, let me know. I'd be curious. :)
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 07:14 I love the idea of three different people having to come together to save the world. This one sounds great!
Yes! And they find out they are more connected than they thought. :) Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I enjoy conspiracy theory stories, especially when they contain supernatural or alien elements. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for your review!
BLINKYNOEL36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by BLINKYNOEL36 »

This sounds like the type of book I enjoy reading. There is something that is very intriguing about a world ruled by secret societies that draws me in everytime. Thank you for an interesting review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

1ditzyrn wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 09:54 I enjoy conspiracy theory stories, especially when they contain supernatural or alien elements. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for your review!
This one would definitely be something you'd enjoy. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Although I don't normally like books about aliens or supernatural powers, the characters in this one seem interesting. I like your comment that you were able to see yourself in each of the characters. It made a book more enjoyable if you can relate to the characters! Great review as always. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 14:19 Although I don't normally like books about aliens or supernatural powers, the characters in this one seem interesting. I like your comment that you were able to see yourself in each of the characters. It made a book more enjoyable if you can relate to the characters! Great review as always. :)
Thanks bookowlie. :) The mystery was intriguing, but I loved the way the characters came together. They really made the book worthwhile.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The plot and intertwining characters sound intriguing. Excellent review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Cecilia_L. It was. :)
—Neil Gaiman
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Loved your review and it has intrigued me to want to read the book. I love conspiracy theories and the supernatural. Will add this one to my list to read
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

trajoe1206 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 17:49 Loved your review and it has intrigued me to want to read the book. I love conspiracy theories and the supernatural. Will add this one to my list to read
Thanks! This sounds right up your alley. Hope you enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I like the review of this novel, which sounds like one of a series. Not sure what to think at the moment. It has a lot of elements that intrigue me except for the 'skin crawling'. Yikes. I felt sorry for the character of Lania, who was being fed drugs without her realizing that fact.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”