Review by Power Onyango -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel by Nancy Farkas

Review by Power Onyango -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Power Onyango » 17 Sep 2018, 02:49

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel Chrome Mountain is a science genre by Ben Schneider. It highlights the themes of religion, drug trafficking, romance, technology and betrayal. However, the theme of religion is the predominant theme. The author tells the story of Trey, a technocrat who works for an organization that does not recognize his abilities. The employees are overworked and unappreciated. Trey makes invents a weapon, a missile for mass destruction. He does not reveal his invention to the company. In the event his deadly invention lands on the wrong hands it could destroy the world. He thus gives up on his invention. Unfortunately, the most powerful criminal gang in the US had learnt of his invention and plans on using it to make them stronger. They are untouchables. They mastermind his capture at the green gates. Trey is a useful asset for their corporation.

Meanwhile, Trey meets Sonya McCall who happens to be the target of the biker gang while she is eluding from the chrome Falcon. Together, they are incarcerated with the eventuality of being incorporated into the group. Sonya’s experience with the criminal gang is useful in their escape. They trick the men who are manning them, beat the men, removes their uniform which they then put on to disguise themselves as members of the gang and then manoeuvres their way into the cargo section of the plane which is about to leave the gates. That was a plus. The, manner of their escape is thrilling.

What I liked about the book is the Chrome Falcon group being a strong association that even the united states are threatened by their presence. They are responsible for most criminal activities in the country. This is what happens in most democracies today. Gangs have become much stronger than states and consequently threaten their stability. The head of police admits that he has not seen in all his years of service a gang that terrorizes people like Falcon gang. State cooperation is necessary if groups such as Chrome Falcon and Biker gang are to be completely wiped out.

I disliked the abrupt change of scenes. At some point the book felt interconnected. The author discusses a character in one chapter, and then he completely disappears in the next chapter. Many characters were introduced at a go making it difficult to contextualize them fully. Additionally, I had hard time capturing certain sections in the plot flow.

I would recommend this book to readers who like discussion on the contemporary issues in the society. It highlights the realities in the society; drug trafficking, rape, betrayal and threatening of governments by non-state actors. However, persons who hate science fiction should not read this book. I rate the book at 3 out of 4 stars. The themes were properly discussed.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Power Onyango's review? Post a comment saying so!

mac83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel by Nancy Farkas

Post by mac83 » 18 Sep 2018, 08:33

This sounds like an interesting sci-fi/fantasy book. I'm not sure if I would be able to get into it too much though. It sounds like there is a variety of genres included, which is nice, but I'm not sure I would like the abrupt changes in the scenes.
Mac :techie-reference:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”