Review by Tiny_Turtle -- Seer by Larry Austin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by Tiny_Turtle -- Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Seer" by Larry Austin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seer by Larry Austin is the first book of the Seer series. Triton Research and Development constructed a process to meld plastic with steel. Thereby creating a practically indestructible material that "would revolutionize the life of virtually everyone on the planet" (location 42). They called it plasteel. They were correct in that life was revolutionized. Unfortunately, the worldwide change was not the one they envisioned. The melding agent worked because of a virus hidden within its molecular structure. Triton knew that the virus was considered to be a brand-new life form, yet they did not register it, nor did they get approval before using it, and people started dying.

The government called in Dr. Michael Macalister, one of the top researchers in infectious diseases in the world, in hopes that he could find a way to stop the virus. Michael and his partner Dr. John Cummings worked hard at finding a cure, but it didn't take long for Michael to foresee what the future could bring. He believed that mankind faced extinction, so he secretly began a plan for survival. He had to figure out where to go and who to trust. He knew that some people would be interested in cooperating and sharing. Others would attempt to take what they wanted, sometimes violently. There were many details that could be planned for, and many that could not. The surprises they might encounter could make-or-break any group of people.

How do you plan for the demise of mankind? Was Michael truly a Seer, as some people believed? Could he really predict what the future would bring? Should they stay and continue looking for a cure, or should they leave and follow Michael? What if he was wrong? Then again, what if he was right?

Right from the beginning, Larry Austin wove a tale of believability. One of the things that I liked the most was that it wasn't all doom-and-gloom. It was filled with adventure and hope. Love and laughter blended with the sadness and tears. I liked that some of the outcomes were unexpected, just like in real life. There were numerous well-rounded characters, some of whom I liked and some I didn't. It was easy to imagine that these were real people dealing with a terrifying ordeal. There were many times that I wondered what I would have done if I found myself in the same situation.

What I liked least about the book is also what kept me mesmerized and what makes it such a great read. It was so shockingly believable. The idea of a world-wide pandemic is frightening. The thought of surviving and helping to rebuild civilization is scary as well as exciting. There are so many ways that society as we know it could end. However, there are some who live by the adage, "Don't be scared. Be prepared."

I would highly recommend this book to all those who love a good fictional survival story that stirs the emotions, with imaginable characters in conceivable scenarios. The violence wasn't excessively graphic, and the romantic scenes happened as naturally as they might have in reality. There were some scenes that, while not unduly explicit, might make some readers uncomfortable. That being said, I felt that the questionable issues were handled tastefully. I would not recommend this book for young readers. The realistic nature of the story might make it difficult for them to remember that it is fictional.

I rate Seer by Larry Austin 4 out of 4 stars. I found only one error in the whole book, and it was obviously a typo where one word was left out of a sentence. I enjoyed this book so much that I already have the next two in the series waiting for me on my Kindle. I can hardly wait to find out what is in store for the future of mankind.

Seer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tiny_Turtle's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Exactly, the book is very interesting. I am also waiting for the next books of this series. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”