Review by Mo101788 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Mo101788
2018 Reading Goal: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mo101788.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Review by Mo101788 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Mo101788 » 14 Sep 2018, 10:50

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo is an innovative novel that relays what could be an inevitable future for humankind. Agent Sliver is an assassin for World, Incorporated, one of five supercorporations that took over after the government collapsed. These supercorporations have made life easier for everyone by giving every person access to education and jobs while making pollution and crime extinct. This easy way of existing seems to work and people are content and happy with the changes, but there is a catch. The price for such a peaceful world is consumerism, being constantly hounded by copious amounts of promotional ads and when the supercorporations have a disagreement, disaster can ensue in your city.

Agent Sliver used to have a normal life, but when things started changing he unwillingly ended up going through a horrific experience which led him to become one of the best assassins in the world. He is sent on missions to eliminate people that World, Incorporated wants removed to ensure their power and overall look, but Sliver has only one goal in mind, to kill the man that ruined his life. With help from Franklin, his A.I. installed on board his aircraft, they always get the job done. Sliver couldn’t imagine a better life, but once his emotions and feelings start to resurface things start going awry. After rescuing a girl named Kelly during a mission, he starts realizing not everyone deserves to be killed and maybe he’s not meant to be a murderer forever.

I must say I really enjoyed reading this book, it not only had the right pace and the perfect amount of action, it made me do some serious thinking. I tend to wonder how much easier it would be to live in a world where we didn’t have to worry about health care, housing, lack of food, or having clothes on our backs. There is an interesting conversation in the book between Sliver and Kelly where Sliver made a good point by saying, “People believe in survival and family, as long as they can work and return to their family every day then they are content to believe whatever the supercorporations tell them about credits and so forth.” Kelly believes people search for a greater purpose and having a life that’s so simple isn’t what they crave. I personally work and live every day for my family and friends, and if life was that easy I wouldn’t complain. One thing that would concern me is the fighting between the supercorporations because when they fight it’s a war and whole cities get destroyed. I wouldn’t want to risk my family for that.

Gariffo did a superb job in creating the characters and explaining the advanced technology. I fell in love with Franklin, who was a computer that didn’t lack in human correspondence. Franklin’s character never disappointed, with his humor and the way he felt about Sliver I carried a soft spot for him throughout the whole book. Kelly, Rex, Franklin, and Sliver were a very diverse group but made an awesome team. I can’t even describe how proud of Rex I was at the end of the book, even though he was a robot with human parts who was created to be a killing machine, he choose the moral path. The only things I would’ve changed about the book is adding more depth to the supporting characters and making the book longer.

I would rate World, Incorporated: A Modern Dystopia by Tom Gariffo 4 out of 4 stars. There were very few grammatical errors, the book kept my mind in overdrive and it was a great conversation starter. After finishing the story I am sure there will be more stories about Sliver and I’m excited to see what he will get into next. This book would be a great read for young or adult audiences that love sci-fi and action.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Mo101788's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”