Official Review: Milky Way Tango by Roger Alan Bonner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Milky Way Tango by Roger Alan Bonner

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Milky Way Tango" by Roger Alan Bonner.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's rare that a book that leaves me with as many mixed feelings as did Milky Way Tango by Roger Alan Bonner. There were moments of brilliance - futuristic scenes and technology that left me breathless. But, then there were the times when I wondered what exactly was going through the author's head. It was fascinating... and frustrating.

Jimmy and Sarah are deeply, unequivocally, madly in love. Their time together, however, is quickly coming to an end as they are both about to attend separate colleges planets apart. As is the case often in life, things don't go exactly according to plan. One night, while at a popular hangout, Jimmy kills two men. Justifiable homicide it may be, as the men were about to plunder, pilfer and rape, but the legal system in Ambrosa is not exactly above board. Jimmy is sentenced to 10 long years at the edge of the belt with no human companionship allowed. Will Jimmy and Sarah's relationship survive this time? To what lengths will they go to keep their love alive?

Let's start with what I enjoyed. I enjoyed the futuristic setting to the story. Sarah goes to college, but it's changed a bit in the future. Gone are the traditional classrooms with professors. Oh no. Now, you learn by virtual reality at your own pace. In addition, there is something called a snooper which can guide you around campus, tells you when you have a meeting and much more. It's almost like your own personal PDA but much more advanced. The human race is now spread out across many planets and solar systems. There are manned navigational arrays to help star ships which, by the way, are complete with jump engines. If you're a sci fi geek, like me, you're on the edge of your seat already.

Furthermore, I appreciated the realism of the characters. As you can tell from the summary, Jimmy is not your average young adult angel that you see in most stories. He has flaws, weaknesses as does Sarah. At one point, Sarah is very bitter about what happened to Jimmy, and why shouldn't she be? But, you find yourself asking if she'll even recover from this fatal blow. There is also an artificial intelligence that Jimmy interacts with that adds another dimension to the character list.

Unfortunately, the book is not all sunshine and roses. There were random sex scenes littered throughout the pages. Even if you enjoy eroticism, these were not at all sensual or sexy. It was more of a random encounter between two consenting adults rather than being romantic or loving. The partners were never the same twice, and there was quite a variety regarding the hook-ups. Rather than furthering the plot, they served only to make it more disjointed.

Additionally, you haven't met a cliffhanger until you've read this book. There is a sequel, so it is somewhat justified. Even so, this was not a few minor issues left unspoken. This was an on-the-edge-of-your-seat, did that really happen, what is going on, major plot arc left unresolved. Nothing was wrapped up, and the author absolutely left me hanging. It just didn't seem like a good suspense to me. It was more of a "I can't believe he just went there" feeling.

There were also some major formatting errors that left me with no doubt that there was no professional editing. The first thing I ran across was the lack of contents in the table of contents. There was also no delineation when the characters were thinking. What's more, any time the font was in italics, there were huge spaces between words and punctuation. Luckily, the actual misspelled or missing words were kept to a minimum. I conclude, therefore, that at least it did undergo proofreading.

All in all, Milk Way Tango earns a 2 out of 4 stars from me. I removed 1 star for the editing issues and another for the major cliffhanger and disjointed nature of the story. I would recommend this for those that enjoy futuristic fiction that are willing to overlook indiscriminate, unprovocative erotic scenes and an ending that is unsatisfying. For my part, I don't think I'll be seeking out the sequel for this one.

Milky Way Tango
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Thanks for this review. While I love delving into a futuristic sci-fi story once in a while, I can not overlook indiscriminate, unprovocative erotic scenes and an ending that is unsatisfying. You've saved me some time that I can spend on reading a better book.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The futuristic aspect of this plot is intriguing but like you, I would be frustrated too. I enjoyed your review.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I'll be honest, when I saw the title and cover, I was actually expecting it to be an erotica rather than sci-fi as described. I was almost right! The actual plot sounds good but I really dislike erotic scenes that are just thrown in that do not further the plot or characters, I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, it just bores me and makes me want to skip it. The ending would leave me feeling unsatisfied and almost cheated, you'll have to buy the sequel if you want to know what happens. I'll skip this one, thank you for your review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dael Reader wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 16:12 Thanks for this review. While I love delving into a futuristic sci-fi story once in a while, I can not overlook indiscriminate, unprovocative erotic scenes and an ending that is unsatisfying. You've saved me some time that I can spend on reading a better book.
It's really just too bad. There were parts that were great. Thanks for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 17:25 The futuristic aspect of this plot is intriguing but like you, I would be frustrated too. I enjoyed your review.
Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Emi_Review wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 17:30 I'll be honest, when I saw the title and cover, I was actually expecting it to be an erotica rather than sci-fi as described. I was almost right! The actual plot sounds good but I really dislike erotic scenes that are just thrown in that do not further the plot or characters, I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, it just bores me and makes me want to skip it. The ending would leave me feeling unsatisfied and almost cheated, you'll have to buy the sequel if you want to know what happens. I'll skip this one, thank you for your review!
Thank you. Even if you are looking for an erotic story, this wouldn't be one I would recommend. Those scenes were not very good.
—Neil Gaiman
CryptQueen
Currently Reading: Working Stiff
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cryptqueen.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by CryptQueen »

Dang, sounds like Mass Effect fanfiction or something. Sorry, you had to go through that. Nice review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like it has decent world building, but it's such a pity that the story is disjointed since it's an important aspect of any story. Thanks for the review!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Thanks for the candid but the brutally honest review! :) The author seems to hook the reader's interest with a futuristic setting but fails to provide a proper structure to the story. Further, an unsatisfying end will be a turn-off for me.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Uh, no. As soon as we got to the "random sex scenes," I began to seriously doubt the message of the book. There might be a market for this though, but the lack of editing is really unfortunate. Thanks for the information!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like a frustrating read. Unfortunate, given this author's excellent thriller A Thing of Dark Imaginings which I reviewed recently. Think this one was written before that, so he has clearly learned a lot since then. Thanks for your honest review. Don't think I would enjoy this one either!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CryptQueen wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 22:09 Dang, sounds like Mass Effect fanfiction or something. Sorry, you had to go through that. Nice review.
Thanks. I saw moments that were brilliant. I know it could be good. But it does need work.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 01:13 This sounds like it has decent world building, but it's such a pity that the story is disjointed since it's an important aspect of any story. Thanks for the review!
Yes! He knows how to build a world. Now to clean up the story a bit. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 02:19 Thanks for the candid but the brutally honest review! :) The author seems to hook the reader's interest with a futuristic setting but fails to provide a proper structure to the story. Further, an unsatisfying end will be a turn-off for me.
It just needed a bit more cohesion. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”