Official Review: A Price of Blood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: A Price of Blood

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Price of Blood" by Renee Peters and Rae Stilwell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Price of Blood is the second book in the Songs of Blood Saga by Renee Peters and Rae Stilwell. I also reviewed the first book in the series and fell in love with the historical setting and charming characters, so I jumped at the chance to review its sequel. The first book introduces the Anowen coven of vampires, led by Lian Redmond. However, Peters and Stilwell’s vampire lore is quite different in that each vampire, when turned, adds to the “song” of the coven. The state of a vampire’s song gives the other members of the coven a clue as to the vampire’s emotions and well-being, but only those in the coven can hear the collective songs.

A Price of Blood picks up right where A Song of Blood left off. Lian is determined to focus on the health of his coven, which he had been neglecting up until then, but he is also making plans to ensure the continuity of his bloodline, if you could call it that. The focus of the first book was on Lian and the human Delilah, whose song Lian could hear without him even turning her. However, the focus this time around is fairly evenly split before the coven as a whole and the romance between Dorian and Joanna. Also, there are ripple effects from other covens in the area due to Lian’s actions in the first book, allowing the authors to introduce new and interesting characters.

At first I was thrown off by the fact that Delilah and Lian’s romance wasn’t part of the plot anymore. But it didn’t take me long to warm up to the idea of an ever-evolving plot and characters. In fact, the authors’ decision to take this route meant that the reader got to know some of the other characters much more thoroughly, which was one of my biggest complaints with the first novel. Also, rather than just being a historical romance novel with a supernatural twist, the thickening of the plot added depth to the book. Usually I’m fine with reading just the first book in romance series and leaving it at that, but I don’t think I’ll be satisfied until I read to the very end of the Songs of Blood Saga.

Although the authors definitely seemed to have taken reviewers’ advice for the first book by fleshing out characters and allowing readers to bond with them more, it seems like I found a few more errors and typos this time around. There were only nine or ten errors in the entire 300-page book, so I don’t think it’s too bad, but I definitely remember the first book having excellent editing. Other than that, I didn’t see any problems with the book itself or the plot developments.

This book had a little bit less humor than the first book and definitely served to move the plot along, but it was still enjoyable and I found myself getting more and more attached to the series overall. Despite the grammatical errors, I think A Price of Blood has earned 4 out of 4 stars. It’s much calmer and easier to understand than the first book, allowing the reader to connect with the characters and setting much more easily. You do need to read the first book before reading this one, however. You wouldn’t understand much if you didn’t. I, for one, am eagerly looking forward to the next book in the series!

A Price of Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

The fact that you can't wait to read the rest of the series is testament enough that this is a great book. I'm glad you got to review the second one after reading the first as well, that's a happy turn of events :)
Great review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think I remember the first book in the series. It was one I was thinking about reviewing myself. I'm glad the second book is just as good, albeit different, as the first! Thanks so much for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The fact that you could not give up the opportunity of reviewing the second book in the series proves that the author has churned out an engaging series. From your review, this book seems to be an enjoyable read with a well-evolved plot as well-developed characters. However, vampire romances / "vampire anything" is not my cup of tea. Hence, i will pass this one. Thanks for the review.
rainydaysc64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 834
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydaysc64.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Post by rainydaysc64 »

I like the premise behind this series, with regards to vampires having songs and when you get turned you have your own particular song to add. It's a concept I've never heard in a book about vampires before. So I definitely think I'll check out the first book at least to see if this is a series I could enjoy. Thanks for the wonderful review! :tiphat:
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a book."
- J.K. Rowling
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

Interesting! Definitely straight to the point revealing much without revealing everything. I definitely appreciate being told that without the setting of the first story that this one won't make much sense, this tells me I need to find the first just so I can get to this one.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Nicely done! I think I'm going to read the first book so I can understand this one. It's a shame about the grammar errors but at least there's not a lot.Thank you for the review!
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

I am reading the first part of the series. Its awesome
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a series i will sure enjoy. With the humour nd all. Thanks for the detailed review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

writer808 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 12:01 I am reading the first part of the series. Its awesome
That's great! Do you think you'll read the sequel as well?

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”