Review by Braunsucre -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Review by Braunsucre -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Braunsucre » 09 Sep 2018, 14:20

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider is a work of fiction done with a lot of expertise and experience. The author, Ben Schneider has obviously gained much exposure from working with the Air Force as noted in the vivid descriptions of the functional parts of airplanes as well as the various skills needed for combat which all makes for an interesting storyline.

The opening chapters of the book focus on the leading female character, Sonya McCall on the run, trying to get away from the brutal henchman of her antagonist. She skillfully survives this episode only to cross paths with a more powerful and merciless organization known as the Chrome Falcons who have been beyond the reach of the FBI with a special streak for destructiveness while armed with dangerous novel technologies.

The narrative voice of this book is simple and descriptive, although I find the later chapters more suspense-filled than the initial chapters and the conclusion in some of the chapters come across as too abrupt. The theme of this book fits nicely with its content as the major part of the plot involves the Chrome Falcons who have their base set in the Chrome Mountains. Also worthy of note is the skill and resilience of Sonya whose spirit refused to be broken by all the chaos in her life.

Chome Mountain by Ben Schneider is a book that has been well edited since I was able to find only two missing letters in the entire book, although I did not find the writing style engaging and the "wits" were not so hilarious. I also feel that some of the situations described are a little unrealistic as seen in the part where Sonya meets Trey for the first time, they had a short encounter after which Sonya said to herself "why are they after that nice man?... That poor guy might need my help again" and in the next scene, she was at his aid again. On a positive note, however, the description of violence is not as graphic or sordid as found in some other books of the same genre and there is a moral lesson to take home at the end of it all.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars due to the fact that in some sections it lacked the engaging narrative needed to sustain continued interest. I would have rated it 2.5 stars if that were possible. I would recommend this book to all lovers of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but if you place more emphasis on humor, this is not the book for you.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Braunsucre's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”