Review by Anthony Martial Tata -- Chrome Mountain

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Anthony Martial Tata -- Chrome Mountain

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider is fictional novel about a young girl, Sonya who grows up at her grandmother's home in California and her struggles to make it in life. Her dad had died in a road accident from drunk driving, whereas her mom who had deserted them for another man succumbed to cancer. Her grandmother is her only direct relationship alive. The poverty at home thus compels her to join a deadly bike gang that terrorise people in the countryside. Her grandmother disapproves of her move, but Sonya's mind is made up. She disrespects her guidance and joins the group.

I appreciated the novel's character growth. The maturity in characters of various persons aids in the plot development. Sonya is remorseful for having linked up with the deadly gang in the society. They committed a lot of felonies. She requests for her grandmother forgiveness for having disrespected and abandoned at the point of need. She was her only living relation. Even her grandmother swallows her ego and requests for her forgiveness for being overly strict with her. However, I think the old's lady attitude was justified. She acted out of love and concern for her granddaughter. Who wants her children to associate with the criminal elements in the society? Even the holy book is categorical to the effect, spare the rod and spoil the child.

I think the book portrays the reality in the society. There is a criminal gang that terrorise citizens, incidents of rape and the workers are arbitrary deprived of their freedom. This is the society we live in. The criminal commit many atrocities- rape, assault and murder. Even, the criminal revolts are murdered in cold blood. I hated the shootings in the book. I hate such scenes where people are murdered in cold blood. Brock's shoots one of his men in attempt to pursue one of the deserters, Sonya. The gang openly break the law. The author asserts, “ Even when the penalty for committing an offence is death, people will still break the law nonetheless.”

I think this book is professionally written and edited and deserves a proper score. I rate it at 3 out of 4 stars. I think it had an excellent character development plus the author always knew where and when to use his calculated choice of words. The character of the leading character, Sonya matures positively. That was a plus considering that she is likely to have a lot of influence on people's life for being the leading character.

I would recommend this book to lovers of thriller novels and technological fantasies. They will appreciate the technological advancement witnessed at the innovation centre. There's a hub of investment and invention witnessed every day at the centre. Trey is a brilliant and intelligent inventor. He rarely falls short of ideas.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anthony Martial Tata's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”