Official Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Official Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Witchstone" by Victoria Randall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An enchantress named Sibele lives in an enchanted castle. The surrounding villages tell stories about her that warn young maidens from nearing the castle, else Sibele would capture them and eat their flesh. In her castle, she remains young and beautiful with the help of the Witchstone. Fenrulf, a young wizard, is working on a spell of destruction to get his revenge on the city Sangara. To complete his spell, he needs Sibele’s Witchstone. When he sends his servant, Orog, to steal the Witchstone, another steals the Witchstone from Orog. With the turn of this event, Sibele and Fenrulf must travel together, overcoming many dangers, to retrieve the stone from Wizard-King Rothric.

In The Witchstone, Victoria Randall takes two characters who are more like villains than heroes and follows them on their adventure to reacquire the Witchstone which was stolen from Sibele then Fenrulf’s servant. Both Sibele and Fenrulf character portrayals are very interesting because they could easily fill a villainous role. Although they might never become the hero-type readers are used to reading, they grow and develop throughout the book which leads to unexpected actions.

Randall sets the scenes in the world beautifully and creatively. There are unique places Sibele and Fenrulf visit that might not have been read before in other fantasy novels. One such place is the Lands of Gold, where the citizens are seemingly metallic and rooms are carved out of great jewels. The imagery weaved in and out of the novel helps readers to fully immerse themselves in the world. For example “...the air had the mintleaf taste of spring, the scent of rain-cleansed earth.” and “...the sun rose like a cup of gold out of the white mists of the morning.”

One element that could have been developed more in the book were side characters. Rothric, the main antagonist, only had one motivation for stealing the Witchstone away, which won’t be spoiled here. That single motivation didn’t seem to connect with why Rothric took the Witchstone to other kingdoms and lands. An old woman lives in the castle with Sibele, but why and how she got there isn’t well explained. She seems to be there for a chance encounter with Fenrulf at the beginning of the book. Even Orog, who traveled alongside Sibele and Fenrulf the entire book paled in comparison to their development and was dubbed Fenrulf’s faithful servant, nothing more.

Overall, I found The Witchstone an enchanting fantasy. I enjoyed each twist and turn the book took me through. There were times I was on the edge of my seat, reading further to know an outcome. There were a few typos I found while reading though it didn’t diminish my enjoyment of the novel. I rate The Witchstone 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the main characters Sibele and Fenrulf and their development but would have liked to see more development from Rothric and the side characters. I would be delighted to recommend this dark fantasy to anyone who enjoys the genre.

The Witchstone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eryn Bradshaw's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ooooh I LOVE dark fantasy. This one sounds great :) Already the weird names and odd places and objects are a winner for me. It's also a plus that the author can obviously spin a tale.
Awesome review, Eryn!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Very thorough review! It provided a great summary of your thoughts and the book. It reads like it is definitely a fantasy book but I don't mind that genre (although you find yourself always comparing everything to Lord of the Rings and it can't win). I'll think i will give this one a shot. Thanks for the review!
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Bianka Walter wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 16:07 Ooooh I LOVE dark fantasy. This one sounds great :) Already the weird names and odd places and objects are a winner for me. It's also a plus that the author can obviously spin a tale.
Awesome review, Eryn!
It was great read! I hope you enjoy it if you pick it up. Thank you for reading my review!
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

jcoad wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 16:39 Very thorough review! It provided a great summary of your thoughts and the book. It reads like it is definitely a fantasy book but I don't mind that genre (although you find yourself always comparing everything to Lord of the Rings and it can't win). I'll think i will give this one a shot. Thanks for the review!
LotR is just too much a classic to compete with. :lol2: This one was good though. Hope you like it if you do pick it up. Thanks for the comment!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

A traveling adventure with witches, wizards, and rooms made of jewels; love it! The lack of character development is not much of an issue for me. I tend to be more interested in an intriguing plot. The only thing that gets me is really stilted dialogue. Great review. I'll have to keep this one on my shelf for later.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

kfwilson6 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 13:47 A traveling adventure with witches, wizards, and rooms made of jewels; love it! The lack of character development is not much of an issue for me. I tend to be more interested in an intriguing plot. The only thing that gets me is really stilted dialogue. Great review. I'll have to keep this one on my shelf for later.
Then I think you'll really like this! It was a beautiful read and definitely sounds like it might be right up your alley. It was definitely a unique novel. Thanks for the comment!
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I love the idea that the protagonists aren't your typical heroes. I think this is such a clever and intriguing idea. That aside, I absolutely love fantasy so this book sounds great to me. Thank you for your review!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The fact that there are no explanations for some parts of the story might have me stumped too much to allow me to enjoy this book.

The way you have written your review is really lovely though.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Barney J Barnett
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godfroi469.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Barney J Barnett »

I do like a dark fantasy with an anti hero story. Think I'm gonna add this to my read list.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

What an interesting storyline! This one sounds awesome - though it's too bad about the side characters. Thanks for the great review - I'll have to check this one out :)
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I enjoyed your review and I love the description of the Land of Gold....this sounds like a charming tale!
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

Very intriguing and thought inspiring review. I enjoyed the sample of descriptions and am now putting this one on my to read list.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly an interesting fantacy. It reminded me of a queen who drank blood of young maidens to be young. Thanks for the comprehensive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”