Review by rchacko -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Review by rchacko -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Raju Chacko »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every bit of Timewise by Robert Leet echoes science in some form – physics, botany, engineering, math and the like or games of skill and chance like chess and poker. It is a frame narrative on science, by means of which, the author expounds on his profound knowledge in Physics and Quantum Physics to the world. The book is the autobiography of a fictional character named Ron Larsen. Ron is an orphan who is raised in foster homes. By age 14, he becomes a good chess player. He meets a charming lady, Regina Russo at Mill Falls Commons in Massachusetts where he plays chess during weekends. Regina is a maven teacher of Physics and Ron instantly falls in love with her because she is both beautiful, dignified and gentle apart from being extremely brilliant. A close, personal association is formed between the two, Regina becoming Ron’s mentor and Physics teacher. She teaches Ron informally during their various meetings. It is through the person of Regina, that the author makes an exposition of his deep knowledge of Quantum Physics to readers.

There isn’t much of a plot or story in this book. Note carefully that when I say this I don’t mean that there is no story at all – there is, but its purpose is apparently to keep the reading lively and interesting rather than as a story in its own right! The book is long and without it, might read like a series of discourses on advanced Quantum Physics delivered by Regina to Ron. As a result, though interesting, the reading would be so “heavy” that only a few physics die-hards would honestly enjoy reading it!

In the book, Regina teaches Ron several things she is an expert at and quite often, using some brilliant explanation and/or extremely lucid, illustrative examples. One explanation that I liked a lot is about Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle (Chapter 5, p.61). According to the Uncertainty Principle (of Quantum Physics), it is not possible to know precisely where a particle is located and what its momentum are, at the same time. Only one or the other can be precisely known. Why? Because anything that takes shorter than 10 raised to power -44 seconds (derived from Planck’s constant and also known as a Planck Interval) cannot be measured at all – or, in other words, we are blocked out of knowing particle state information during a Planck Interval. This is a profound conclusion and hence the ‘uncertainty’ in the Uncertainty Principle. However, Regina’s hard work not being apparent, the entire exercise may look deceptively easy to readers. The Planck Interval leads on to another powerful conclusion expressed in the book as “awareness creates time” that first appears on p. 9 and later, at other places in the book. Turning to examples, one lovely instance is found on p.62. It is used to illustrate the Uncertainty Principle. A traffic cop patrols a school zone on a road on which the speed limit is 50 mph except for the school zone itself where it is 20 mph. Overspeeding cars would be easily detected by an ordinary cop. However, if the cop belongs to the quantum world, he/ she would be in great difficulty to perform like his/her ordinary counterpart as he/ she may know that a speeding car is (i) in the school zone but not its speed, or (ii) know its speed but not whether it is in the school zone.

One may need years of study before arriving at the priceless Physics wisdom written in the book, but readers get it for just the price (of this book), thanks to the transcendent brilliance of Regina!! I believe I personally gained a clear understanding of the principle of superposition from the explanation of wave interference given in Chapter 5 (pp. 63-70).

The author has a graceful, pithy and well-paced writing style that speaks highly of his erudition and lifestyle. His language is clear and unambiguous. Emotions are kept under control so that while being pleasant to read, the reader is never exposed to peaks of emotion – either elating or depressing. The parting between Ron and Cheryl Liona (at the end of Chapter 3) is an example. Ron and Cheryl share a close relationship for a period and need to part suddenly when Cheryl decides to pursue higher studies at Tufts University. Being his first love relationship, Ron’s pain, was presumably deep but the author doesn't allow a reader’s attention to get disturbed by it by gently glossing over the incident. The same is the case when Regina leaves him forever after accidental exposure to radiation that poisons her (Chapter 27). Just what one should expect from a scientific author, I believe!

I give the book a 4 out of 4 stars rating as its content is very useful and relevant to students of modern Physics. Besides, it is very well written. It appears professionally edited and I could find just a few major errors in the book, the others being minor. Those who are creative, young at heart (regardless of physical age), have an academic bent of mind, or like to keep learning all their lives will definitely enjoy this book. It is therefore recommended for teachers, researchers, engineers, IT employees, thinkers, philosophers, movie makers and futurists, particularly those who are drawn to, or have a background in modern Physics and/or the STEM disciplines. Junior STEM students, who are still scanning the horizons for what may be the best areas to major in, are another category of readers whom I believe, will love this book. And almost certainly, this book is a MUST AVOID for the non-academic and those interested in other book genres like C/T/M/H, being devoid of action, drama, intrigue, deep romance etc. The anti-STEM (particularly anti-physics) community should strictly avoid it too, for reasons that I believe are obvious.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rchacko's review? Post a comment saying so!
The highest purpose of art is to inspire. What else can you do? What else can you do for anyone but inspire them? -Bob Dylan
gali
Site Admin
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Killing Commendatore
Bookshelf Size: 2040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A sci-fi novel revolving around the physics of Time sounds intriguing. The book That it was well edited is certainly a plus.
The book follows an aimless teenager and an eccentric physicist as they puzzle out the meaning of time. I don't like a lack of plot in a book nor do I care for Quantum Physic Physics, so it is probably not for me. Thank you for the review!
Personal pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Quantum physics isn't my cup of tea. But I am sure the book is quite intriguing for fans of science fiction. Thanks for the enlightening review.
a9436
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

What an excelling-sounding book! I can already relate to Ron, and know myself how knowledge of the world's workings can provide great inspiration. Quantum physics is interesting and I love sci-fi, so I am looking forward to getting stuck into this book. Thanks for your review.
Lunastella
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: My Not-So Secret
Bookshelf Size: 1991
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Depression Where by Briana Isham

Post by Lunastella »

And almost certainly, this book is a MUST AVOID for the non-academic and those interested in other book genres like C/T/M/H, being devoid of action, drama, intrigue, deep romance etc. The anti-STEM (particularly anti-physics) community should strictly avoid it too, for reasons that I believe are obvious.
I appreciate your clarity and honesty regarding the target audience. Definitely, this book isn't for me. I'm a huge C/T/M/H fan and not much of a science buff.
However, I think its a great idea for a book and a very enjoyable way to approach otherwise dry science concepts.
Thank you for your thorough and honest review.
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Doesn't seem catchy to me, maybe because am not a fan this genre of book. Hopefully, it will be more appealing to fans of sci-fi novels. Good review.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

It's interesting to learn about physics through a sci-fi book. The Uncertainty Principle is something I would like to read more of.
Ferdinand_otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno »

This is an adventure action science fiction novel which highlights physics, knowledge and the future. The book is free on Kindle Unlimited and has an amazing OnlineBookClub review. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @PorterFieldPub for the BOTD.
Prasanna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prasanna.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Prasanna »

The review really compels physics lovers tor read this book. But i am not a physics person, though, nice review.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

this already seems so complicated and it is definitely not my cup of tea but i find it interesting that it is the autobiography of a fictional character, all i can think about are the endless possibilities with writing a story like this. thanks for the clear and honest review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

For those interested in Quantum Physics, this book seems like a creative way to discuss the principles. The teenager Ron falls in love with a Physics teacher, Regina, after meeting in a weekend chess tournament. I do not know anything about the Uncertainty Principle, but I am uncertain about reading this book.
Phirmi
Currently Reading: The Daniel Fast
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Phirmi »

Timewise by Robert Leet is actually a sci-fi book with an intriguing direction to exploring the world of quantum physics. I score 4 out of 4 for its editorial and publishing professionalism. I recommend it to prospective STEM Students or science lovers and also a way to get familiar with quantum physics for Art students.
Phirmi
Currently Reading: The Daniel Fast
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Phirmi »

Timewise by Robert Leet is actually a sci-fi book with an intriguing direction to exploring the world of quantum physics. I score 4 out of 4 for its editorial and publishing professionalism. I recommend it to prospective STEM Students or science lovers and also a way to get familiar with quantum physics for Art students.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: chip 3 by jens pindal

Post by Scerakor »

As a scientist, in particular a physicist, I am extremely interested in checking this book out and seeing how it is put together. Although I am intimately aware already of many of the principles used as examples in the review, I'm intrigued on seeing how this is put into book form.
Latest Review: chip 3 by jens pindal
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1086
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I think the books sounds really interesting. From the sample, I think Ron seems compelling and his story with Regina and physics could definitely appeal to fans of sci-fi. I agree this is a good choice for anyone with an interest in STEM. Thank you for the review.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”