Official Review: Live Like a God by Taylor Kole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Live Like a God by Taylor Kole

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Live Like a God" by Taylor Kole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Live Like a God is a young adult fantasy adventure novel by Taylor Kole. Josh Ridley is a regular guy. He goes to work, pays taxes, watches TV, and spends time with his girlfriend, Karen. But he longs for more. He invests money in a program in which he is shrunk down and placed in a terrarium housing a miniature natural environment, Betaloome, for 39 days, to act as a god to many tiny villagers who live there. As part of the shrinking process, his body transforms from "flab to ab", gaining speed, strength, and muscle mass, giving him a distinct advantage over other men in his new surroundings. This new god, whom the villagers of Reysona call "JoshRidley" (one word), is suddenly irresistible to women, able to slay frightening creatures, and a protector to all. But with his talents come responsibilities. Among the dangers he faces are huge "eviscerators" (ants) and "trappers" (spiders), both far larger - and faster - than a man in this tiny world. Elsewhere, in the city of Atlantis, lives the god RobertJohnson, the only man from Earth to have ever made his stay in Betaloome permanent. All RobertJohnson asks from visiting gods is total obedience. Unfortunately, thanks to his new powers, JoshRidley is now total ego...

I enjoyed this book. The story is action-packed and entertaining, a sort of cross between Thor, Gladiator, and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. It contains some creative descriptive passages, such as: "The occasional dome-shaped droplets of water dotting the floor made the atmosphere alien. Waist-high, the droplets appeared gelatin and poking them dispersed the fluid like a ruptured amniotic sac." This provides a clear mental picture and is elegantly written. Kole's description of the world of the terrarium and its terrifying giant insects is formidable and fearsome.

I like the way Josh's experience as a god of the tiny world leads him to reevaluate his life. He learns that, in many ways, he is not living to his full potential but only "going through the motions". There are some interesting comparisons between his boring "regular life" outside of Betaloome and the action-packed, dangerous, adrenaline-charged life he leads in the tiny world of the terrarium. Also, he has to face down his own insecurities upon failing to complete a certain task, which reminds him he still has imperfections and limitations despite his godlike strength and abilities. There are also some funny moments, such as the cockiness of one of RobertJohnson's sons saying they would all be gods on Earth, too. With their unattractive faces, ratty hair and male pattern baldness, this is definitely overconfidence against all evidence to the contrary.

Live Like a God does, unfortunately, need some divine editing. It certainly isn't bad, but I did find ten minor errors by around a third of the way through. Most of these errors are punctuation, but there are also a few missing words, and odd words used incorrectly at times, such as "affects" in place of "effects". Another example is the sentence: "He might have closed the distance in time had she ran toward Josh, but she had ran away." Both instances of "ran" in this sentence should be "run". These errors are the exception, not the norm, but an edit is still needed.

Overall, I rate Live Like a God 3 out of 4 stars. It is a great, entertaining story with mostly minor editing issues. It would appeal to young adult readers, particularly those who enjoy violent, action-oriented fantasy. Potential readers should keep in mind that it does contain gruesome violence (tiny people being attacked by giant insects) and some sexual content. However, I found it an entertaining story from start to end.

Publisher's Note: This review is based on a pre-publication draft. The editing errors noted have since been fixed.
Live Like a God
View: on Bookshelves

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is one that I haven't quite heard of before. I mean, there's Honey I Shrunk The Kids, but that's a bit different. It's certainly intriguing to think about. It's too bad about the editing, but it really doesn't sound overly distracting. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is a very cool concept for a book! The idea of having to fight ants and spiders is horrifying.
Awesome review 🙂
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ayo Stephen
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ayo Stephen »

I loved this most and is interesting where Robert Johnson becomes a god that stayed permanent in baterleon and didn't over misuse them but rather needed only peace from visiting gods,brilliant idea here
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Ayo, sounds like you might be planning a trip to Betaloome soon! The review did make it sound rather intriguing.
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Thanks for the review! I think it's interesting that the book takes a direction in which the main character, while he does receive god-like abilities, he can still fail. That's something that a lot of "dropped into another world settings" seem to flub up, in my opinion.
"No way but forward!"
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Damn, I want to read this now. Such a cool concept, like the movie Honey I Shrunk the Kids but on purpose. I like that the character learns a lesson too. I would love to experience natures beauty from a different perspective or at a different scale.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 12:59 This is one that I haven't quite heard of before. I mean, there's Honey I Shrunk The Kids, but that's a bit different. It's certainly intriguing to think about. It's too bad about the editing, but it really doesn't sound overly distracting. Thanks.
Yeah, some interesting fantasy with a pretty unique premise. Entertaining stuff.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 14:02 This is a very cool concept for a book! The idea of having to fight ants and spiders is horrifying.
Awesome review 🙂
Thanks! I personally couldn't think of anything more frightening than facing giant ants, spiders, and the praying mantis. Shudder...
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Ayo Stephen wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 14:56 I loved this most and is interesting where Robert Johnson becomes a god that stayed permanent in baterleon and didn't over misuse them but rather needed only peace from visiting gods,brilliant idea here
Definitely some interesting ideas and dynamics between characters. Thanks for commenting.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Amanda Deck wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 07:35 Ayo, sounds like you might be planning a trip to Betaloome soon! The review did make it sound rather intriguing.
Intriguing and terrifying! But if enormous ants and spiders are your thing... Count me out though! :shock:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kaymontacell wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 10:30 Thanks for the review! I think it's interesting that the book takes a direction in which the main character, while he does receive god-like abilities, he can still fail. That's something that a lot of "dropped into another world settings" seem to flub up, in my opinion.
Yeah, I'm a strong believer that all characters, no matter how godlike, should be flawed in some way. After all, can any of us claim to be perfect? I know I can't! Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 13:35 Damn, I want to read this now. Such a cool concept, like the movie Honey I Shrunk the Kids but on purpose. I like that the character learns a lesson too. I would love to experience natures beauty from a different perspective or at a different scale.
It is certainly worth a read. I found it very entertaining once it got going. And like you say, a different perspective on the everyday.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Loved your review! Especially how you compared the book to those three movies - you gave me a good picture of what it's like, and made it sound pretty awesome!
ChristineV1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ChristineV1999 »

Thank you for the review! I would love to read this as soon as possible, the review is very intriguing and interesting, I would love to take my hands on that book tomorrow!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”