Official Review: Mars 2112 by John Ashcroft-Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Official Review: Mars 2112 by John Ashcroft-Jones

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mars 2112" by John Ashcroft-Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mars 2112 was written by John Ashcroft-Jones. It is the first book in a trilogy. The book was published in 2017 by Archway Publishing. The genre of the book is Sci-Fi/Fantasy. The setting of the book is in the year 2112.

Global warming went past its tipping point around 2060. The sea levels rose rapidly during this period and are still rising because of the melting of ice. The North Pole, which was once an ice field, is presently serving as one of the world’s busiest shipping sea lanes. Earlier on, in 2026, an Ebola outbreak caused a global pandemic that wiped out forty-two percent of the world population. The pandemic was brought under control after eight years. It ended in the year 2040. The grave crisis troubling the world is the rising tides. Max is the leading character in the story. He has a company, Aqua4, which is involved in seawater purification. The major project within Aqua4 is Luna2. It is the repository of excess water, and it is based on space. The main story is the attempt of Max and his team to make Mars habitable. This will involve the creation of an artificial atmosphere. Will Max succeed?

The book contains four hundred and seven pages. It is narrated in the third-person point of view. The story was slow-paced at first hence was a bit boring. However, as it progressed, it became more intriguing and fascinating. The technological advances in the book were astounding. The spaceships that existed eased movement in space, from one planet to another, and also from space to earth. The level of imagination was incredible and will leave the reader wondering whether the things being described will ever exist. Who can believe the journey from Mars to Saturn can take approximately three weeks? The adventures in space were thrilling. The description of features on various planets seemed more real than fictional.

The book addresses an urgent and sensitive issue. No one can overlook it. Global warming is real. The impact of what it can cause is brought out well in the story. Many islands were submerged as sea levels continued to rise. Therefore, the reader will be challenged to act reasonably and enlist in the global effort to combat climate change. Pollution of seas through dumping plastics was also brought out well. This threatened all forms of marine life. It was handled well and it will certainly ignite a spark in the fight against marine pollution.

The book was professionally edited. The characters were adequately built. The author took time to reveal their strengths and weaknesses. The plot was also well developed. However, there were instances where the story moved back and forth in time. Since the characters were few, it was easy to connect all events when this happened. There were a few grammatical errors that included misspellings, wrong use of words, and repetition. However, I found that the story was still enthralling. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Themes such as exploration, technology, pollution, family, revenge, and recycling were interwoven in this story. These themes made the story more interesting than if it was exclusively based on one theme alone. I recommend the book to fans of science fiction stories, especially those who are fascinated with space explorations.

Mars 2112
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love stories about the attempts to make other planets habitable. This sounds very interesting. I always think these attempts sound a little far-fetched though. Especially after reading The Martian :)
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The book involving planets and advance technology to create an artificial atmosphere? It's definitely a science fiction: one of the genres I find difficult to understand, so I will pass the book, and the fact that it was slow-pased in the beginning chapters doesn't help the case. Thanks for the enchanting review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

An environmental catastrophe on Earth has compelled human beings to try make Mars habitable - seems like an interesting read. I am willing to try it out. Thanks for the review!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a book that adresses an important issue in the world which is global warming. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I heard that the process of making a planet habitable is called terraformation, but I might be wrong. Still, the concept is crazy if it is doable. Thank you for introducing me to this wonderful book!
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

kfwilson6 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 10:07 I love stories about the attempts to make other planets habitable. This sounds very interesting. I always think these attempts sound a little far-fetched though. Especially after reading The Martian :)
:D :D :D sure. Sometimes you really wonder if it will reach a point when such things will be done or attempted by mankind. Thanks for the reply.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Laura Bach wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 03:03 I heard that the process of making a planet habitable is called terraformation, but I might be wrong. Still, the concept is crazy if it is doable. Thank you for introducing me to this wonderful book!
Learned a new concept today. Thanks for the reply. The book is very good. You will enjoy reading it definitely.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

topdan30 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 13:18 This is a book that adresses an important issue in the world which is global warming. Thanks for the review.
This is true. Global warming is sometimes that concerns everyone, whether knowingly or unknowingly. Thanks for the reply.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 23:13 An environmental catastrophe on Earth has compelled human beings to try make Mars habitable - seems like an interesting read. I am willing to try it out. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for the comment. I am very sure that you will enjoy reading it.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 11:10 The book involving planets and advance technology to create an artificial atmosphere? It's definitely a science fiction: one of the genres I find difficult to understand, so I will pass the book, and the fact that it was slow-pased in the beginning chapters doesn't help the case. Thanks for the enchanting review.
Yes, it is mainly on technology and also making other planets survivable for mankind. Thanks for the comment. You can give the book a benefit of doubt.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”