Official Review: The Awakening by Suzanne Boisvert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: The Awakening by Suzanne Boisvert

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Awakening" by Suzanne Boisvert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Awakening by Suzanne Boisvert is an action novel about aliens who were reborn as humans. It follows three main characters: Lanie, a washed-up pop star, Suki, her therapist, and James, a conspiracy theory investigator. This cast must search for three discs that will fully unlock their powers and protect the Earth from attack by aliens as dramatic events shake humanity to its core.

The book is certainly more plot-based than character-based, though this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The characters are still distinct and memorable, just don't expect dramatic and sweeping character arcs, as this would certainly bog down the narrative. There's a lot going on, and any more might make the book feel cluttered. Despite the heavy action and numerous plot threads, though, the story remains focused on the three main players' journeys and how they intersect. It reminded me in a lot of ways of a more fleshed-out action movie, complete with car chases, explosions, and kidnappings.

The author's prose only serves to emphasize this impression. It isn't beautifully poetic; it's clean and precise, with no overly flowery language or esoteric word choice, and the dialogue flows naturally. Each character's point of view is unique, providing an amount of depth that most thriller novels don't manage to capture, without feeling forced or distracting. It's also impressively well-edited, with only a single (admittedly nitpicky) typo in the entire book.

It didn't bother me too much, but the plot of The Awakening does border on over-the-top at several points. Enjoying the book requires readers to use their suspension of disbelief a great deal, and even then, I found myself rolling my eyes when Hitler was shoehorned in. Conspiracy theories are proven valid in the book's storyline, and I can see this turning off potential readers. After I committed to becoming immersed in the book's world, though, this point was fairly moot. It also helps that the characters are very easy to root for, and these points were always uncovered organically, rather than through clunky exposition.

Overall, I rate The Awakening 4 out of 4 stars. The characters and plot are memorable, the writing style is well-executed, and the editing is excellent. The book's messages are also quite positive, a breath of fresh air in the world of overly gritty thriller novels. I highly recommend it to fans of action books and movies who don't mind conspiracy theories and wildly dramatic plot points.

The Awakening
View: on Bookshelves

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

My only reservation with this is that the characters caught my attention as soon as you listed them. They have such great potential for arcs, it's a shame that they didn't in favour of plot.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What an interesting review! The idea of aliens who can prove conspiracy theories really intrigues me. Thanks for reviewing this book. This is one I would like to read.
Ferguson100
Currently Reading: Breast Cancer, an Emotional Journey
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Ferguson100 »

this is one of the best sci-fi and fantasy book ive ever read how i wish it has some comic,i really love this Suszanne. :D :D :D :D :D :D
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The plot is very intriguing and would make for a very successful movie. The characters and their roles seem very memorable to me, although the story isn't character-based. I am glad that you enjoyed this book and found only a mere editorial flaw. Thank you for your comprehensive review of this book.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Aliens and conspiracy theories go hand-in-hand for me. I think I will enjoy this, even if it's not character-based as much as plot-based. It would probably feel like an action movie. I liked your detailed review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I am intrigued by the idea of aliens reborn as humans. It brings up lots of questions. Good sci-fi action books appeal to me.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I can see that this read has won your heart, but it doesn't seem to be my type. Thank you for making this review so effective.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oh boy! Hitler? I'm surprised they didn't put Elvis in there, too. Just kidding. :) But, it does sound like an interesting book, even if there are some roll your eyes moments. I'll have to look into it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
iamtheregyt_711
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by iamtheregyt_711 »

I always got cought on fiction books and it really gives my mind on "what if's".. There are books that were written, maybe based on fictions, maybe on truths..i wanted to explore this one..
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

The summary sounds so interesting! Conspiracy theories don't really bother me, I actually rather like reading them. I'm most concerned about the characters, they have such an interesting story in the summary but I do enjoy a character arc. Sometimes I don't care for the plot too much if I don't feel a connection or at least an interest in the characters. However, your review says you still end up rooting for them so hopefully the lack of character arc won't be too much of a problem. Thank you for the review!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

You lost me at aliens reborn as humans! I've never been a great fan of this type of book so I might give this one a miss, particularly as there are those cringe-worthy parts you mention! Many thanks for your opinion tho.
Ab001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ab001.html
Latest Review: Unveil your Intimate Self by Elena Georgiadou

Post by Ab001 »

Nice review ,but science fiction do not appeal to me
rogertiger
Currently Reading: The Unforgiven
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by rogertiger »

Cool.. character plotting imay compare it with Caucasian chalk circle book
StormBorn1721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by StormBorn1721 »

I love action based plots, and ones about aliens and earth destruction sounds freaking outstanding. Thanks for your review. I think I will defiantly be reading this book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”