Official Review: Sheppard's Quest by Gary Caplan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Mailis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: Sheppard's Quest by Gary Caplan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Sheppard's Quest by Gary Caplan

Post by Mailis » 02 Sep 2018, 09:26

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sheppard's Quest" by Gary Caplan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sheppard’s Quest is the third book in the space saga series written by Gary Caplan. The author names as his influences writers like Isaac Asimov, J.R.R. Tolkien, M. Moorcock, Ray Bradbury and he has been always been open about the fact that his works are also inspired by Star Trek and Star Wars series.

After giving us a bit of background story of the previous adventures of Commodore Robert Sheppard at the start of the book, this sci-fi mystery takes on an intergalactic detective mission which is set against the backdrop of a futuristic and varied space civilization.

Sheppard gets involved in a complex situation when a powerful new ally asks for assistance with a strange and puzzling problem. It seems that animals from different space species are disappearing without trace from the Talcon's gigantic world sized spaceship Starcity, which is about the size of the planet Mars.
After Sheppard and his loyal crew begin their expedition in search of the answers, they soon find themselves engaged in precarious battle with several malevolent alien opponents.

This book was a fast-paced thriller that does not disappoint even the most technical minded hard-core sci-fi fans with its comprehensive descriptions of wormholes, particle-beam weapons, nanotechnology, powerful starships (with organo-metallic hulls) and fighters, complex political strategies of the many alien races and also as an extra fun bonus, there are some Jedi-like mindpowers added to the mix.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I honestly very much enjoyed the full-blown Star Wars/Star Trek style starship battle scenes that showcased all the advanced technological solutions. The writing is also consistently good, and you can feel the quality of editing, because there are almost no grammar or spelling mistakes.

If you like your sci-fi to give you a good amount of background information of the universe where the events take place, then this will be a satisfying read for you. It has thorough overview of all the trading and nonaggression agreements, extensive technical lingo and descriptions of versatile tactical defense plans of the alliance, special features of alien races involved, information about the ranks of the officers and extensive background stories of most of the political scheming involved. For me, what could be called the cherry on top of this sci-fi dessert, were also the Star Knight skills involved, which are a bit similar to Jedi skills but seemed to offer a more specific variety and tools to work with.

Sheppard's Quest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mailis's review? Post a comment saying so!

Nerea
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Nerea » 07 Sep 2018, 05:43

What an awesome review. I love science fiction novels and am sure this will not disappoint at all because you've given conveyed some concrete reasons that denotes the book is worth reading. The animal species disapppearing without trace from Talcon's world, could they be the dinosaurs? I'll read the book and find out. Thank you for sharing the review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

Eryn Bradshaw
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw » 10 Sep 2018, 14:22

This book sounds really interesting, I might pick it up despite not love super science-y things. I love sci-fi, but when it gets too technical, I tend to get lost and bored. Great review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”