Official Review: A Thread in Time by Jess Thomas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Official Review: A Thread in Time by Jess Thomas

Post by BriennaiJ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Thread in Time" by Jess Thomas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In A Thread In Time by Jess Thomas, Trend has happily returned to his clan, mate, and family. The peace is broken when Zihen, Vega's mate, is kidnapped. Vega will pay any price to get him back, but Trend worries that the price might be too high for the clan to pay. Darius is in the care of Gak and several clan members while others search for Vega's mate. The clan members who cannot fight must hide in the library, which leaves many of them feeling helpless. The loss of a mate is tearing apart Trend's clan in more ways than one, but they are determined to make it through together and go back to living peaceful lives. 

I was so excited to be able to read a fantasy novel that included a clan with both same-sex and heterosexual relationships. It was integrated into the book smoothly, so it seemed as if it was normal in this universe. Finding diverse fantasy novels like these can be difficult, so this book was definitely a gem in that sense. 

When I chose this book, I thought that it could be read as a standalone. After reading the novel, I have come to the conclusion that it could be read as a VERY basic standalone. The characters do spend a lot of time discussing the events that occurred in previous novels, which made it easy for me to get into the story as a new reader. What I struggled with was differentiating the characters. Since this is already book number 14 in this series, there were 13 books of background knowledge that I had to catch up on. After reading this novel, I am going to go back in my own time and read the previous books in the series. Each character is truly unique, and I want to know more about all of them. I would also suggest to a person thinking about reading this that they actually start at the beginning of the series and work their way to this one, just so that they can really know the characters. 

The stories of these characters are so detailed that I love to learn more about them. Darius has a special relationship with Trend, as he has known him for many years, and through this, he has a whole side story that discusses his relationship with his older brother. Trend's mate was looking for him in other dimensions and has an entire story about his lives in those worlds. These are the two side stories that stood out to me the most, but I know that there were definitely many more in the previous installments of this series. 

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were no editing errors that I could see, the plot moved smoothly, and the characters were all full of life. There were also no huge time-skips in the middle of the story, which is rare for a fantasy novel these days. The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that I hadn't read the books prior to this one to get to know these lovely characters even more. This is definitely a must-read for diverse fantasy lovers. 

A Thread in Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BriennaiJ's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The characters seem like a very loving and caring clan if they could not have peace with one lost mate. The book is definitely a must read. Enjoyable review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I know I wouldn't enjoy this one. It takes a special fantasy to reel me in. This is not it. Thanks anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I think I will pass this one since it does not seem to me that it can be read as a standalone. Thanks for the review!
Taytay15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taytay15.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Taytay15 »

After reading this review I think I would love to start reading this series it sounds very interesting.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

Sounds like an interesting series. I'll be sure to start at the beginning. Thanks!
BriennaiJ
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 05:43 The characters seem like a very loving and caring clan if they could not have peace with one lost mate. The book is definitely a must read. Enjoyable review.
Thanks for commenting! I definitely thought that they really cared about each other as I read this story. They do have their fights though!
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 19:00 I know I wouldn't enjoy this one. It takes a special fantasy to reel me in. This is not it. Thanks anyway.
Thanks for commenting. It definitely may not be for everyone!
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 01:44 I think I will pass this one since it does not seem to me that it can be read as a standalone. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for commenting! I definitely would not run around telling people to read this by itself, you just won't get the full experience. Hopefully, you will get the chance to try the first book in the series sometime!
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

Taytay15 wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 10:59 After reading this review I think I would love to start reading this series it sounds very interesting.
Thanks for commenting! It definitely was a fun read, and if you get into it, there are plenty of books to keep you interested.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

raqstar1 wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 13:00 Sounds like an interesting series. I'll be sure to start at the beginning. Thanks!
Thanks for commenting! I hope you enjoy the read.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Not sure if I want to read this one or not. I think I will start at the beginning of the series and see how it goes. Thanks for the very thorough review!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! This sounds like a very interesting book and now you've got me bookmarking the series in my to-read shelf. 14 books?! Wow - I'm in until Christmas :lol:
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a book that offers more than just detailed characters but lovely storyline. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm not a big fantasy or romance fan, so this one isn't for me. Good review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”