Official Review: Demon Heart 2 Never Say Die by David Crane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Official Review: Demon Heart 2 Never Say Die by David Crane

Post by Raya raymond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Demon Heart 2 Never Say Die" by David Crane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Does doing good mean that good things will come to you? Naoko Kitamura is forced to give up her life after she saves her city from a nuclear meltdown. She is a demon hybrid. Naoko is an offspring of an ancient samurai, who was noble, and an ancient demon. She’s forced to come back to life and leave everything behind after saving Osaka, her city. On earth she relocates to Tokyo, and seeks to live a normal human life. She falls in love and starts a family. She works for Katana, a secret organization that protects humans from both manmade and natural threats.

While investigating a weapon that is designed to control human will, she discovers the Yakuza. The Yakuza is a criminal organization that has partnered up with Russian mafia. They have created an evil demon hybrid. The demon is more powerful than anything Naoko has come across her whole life. She fights against her enemies with the help of her friends, and any weapon available to her. She encounters yet another threat. There’s a weapon capable of mass destruction, which has been invented by an evil genius from Japan. This guy wants to destroy the nation to create new geopolitical setting, and is not backing off. Naoko is prepared to do whatever it takes to protect her country and loved ones. She’s prepared to fight all her enemies, but is she capable of winning?

Demon Heart 2 Never Say Die by David Crane is a fantasy book that is set in a very normal looking environment, but its characters are nothing close to normal. The irony of a demon being the heroin of the book is mind-blowing. Demons are usually considered malicious. However, Naoko is committed to protecting the human race from any harm that may befall it. She’s strong and fearless. She almost lives a normal life like other humans, and is starting to embrace humanity. I love that about the book.

As much as I enjoyed the book and found it intriguing, I think the book is too focused on the dark side. I did not agree with some of Naoko’s means of seeking justice especially towards the end. As much as she is embracing humanity, she’s also completely demon and dark sometimes. I’d say she’s a cold blooded murderer, but I know it was justice to her. There’s a darkness in the book that I’m not sure how to take. This is because I don’t know if that was the author’s intent or plan for this book. I think if a book has a hero protagonist, they are allowed to be human and make mistakes. However not to the extent of being evil too.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It’s a very interesting read, but sometimes I could not tell the hero and the villain apart. If both the hero and the villain kill, what’s the difference? I recommend this book to lovers of fantasy. Anyone who loves a book with action and a little thrill mixed with supernatural beings will love Demon Heart 2 Never Say Die by David Crane

Demon Heart 2 Never Say Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Raya raymond's review? Post a comment saying so!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the review! A very apt question you have raised-how do you differentiate good guys from the bad ones if they behave just the same? I like the storyline, but the ominous tone of the novel that you mention in your review will probably be too dark for me. I absolutely agree with you that while the heroes are human (or demon hybrid) and are entitled to make mistakes, they should not give evil vibes, that just doesn't feel right!
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I really like the twist of having a demon as the heroine of the story - it's so interesting.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Thanks for saying that it was pretty dark. As much as I like to read and watch thrillers, sometimes it gets to be too much. I'm not sure if I like the whole twist on the word demon. Thank you for the great review.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”