Official Review: The Homo atromitos saw the rise of the N...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: The Homo atromitos saw the rise of the N...

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Homo atromitos saw the rise of the New Sun" by Z. Mondle.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Homo atromitos saw the rise of the New Sun is a science fiction book by Z. Mondle.

Hannah is an astrophysicist who lives in the age of the Homo atromitos, a genetically modified race of humans. Their enhanced gene makeup allows them to achieve a perfectly balanced world - ecologically and socially. Hannah, her husband, and daughter live on a mountain, close to nature. She is expecting her second child. Despite discovering that her unborn child has a gene mutation, all is well. The situation can easily be corrected through a procedure by a geneticist. One night, however, their lives are disrupted by a massive earthquake. Stranger yet, the sun does not rise the next day. Isolated and away from the rest of the world, Hannah and her family must find a way to survive under the life-threatening situation and find answers.

The first chapter of this book took my breath away! The peace that Hannah feels, her gratitude for life, and her curiosity permeate the pages, creating an uplifting mood. Exploring their advanced world filled me with wonder. Initially, I noticed quite a few grammatical errors, but at this point I was entranced and could not care less. Then it all went downhill.

From the second chapter on, the grammar was horrible. There were ideas that I simply could not comprehend because of the bad grammar. This was especially the case in the dialogue between Hannah and her daughter, Abbie. The two have lengthy discussions about the physical principles that govern our magnificent universe. Although interested, I felt left out of these conversations as the information went right above my head. These conversations could have been an exciting highlight for those who love physics and the wonders to be found in our universe. Sadly, the bad grammar spoilt it all.

I understand that this is a work of fiction, however, some of the scenes described are too fictitious for my liking. For example, the family makes food on a grill during an earthquake. How is that physically possible? This is just one of the scenes which just did not appear to be remotely plausible.

The ending was abrupt. It is as though the author got tired of writing and decided to wrap things up. It left me with so many unanswered questions. The answers to those questions were what kept me reading on in the first place. I am one unsatisfied reader.

It is with a heavy heart that I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. It has so much potential. A good round of editing would do it so much good.

The Homo atromitos saw the rise of the New Sun
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Bclubgrl58
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bclubgrl58 »

It sounds like the author needed some more inspiration and a proofreader. That's not a fun read for you to have to put up with the strange plot and bad grammar. I really hope the next book you read is much better for you. But thanks for saving some of us from having to endure this book. :techie-reference:
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

That's such a shame to hear about the grammar issues and the rushed ending. I usually love sci-fi/fantasy and it seemed like an interesting storyline. Thank you for the review, I think I'll give this one a miss.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love your summary. It really had me interesting and intrigued. Sadly, I lost my interest when I saw how bad the grammar was and how rushed the ending was. I love the thought of the book, but it sounds like the execution needs help.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

The plot sounds great, but the writing sounds not so great.

I almost want to read it to see how bad it could be. Almost.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Mab Spoor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mab-spoor.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Mab Spoor »

Thank you for this review. I enjoy science fiction/fantasy books most of the time, and I hate to be disappointed. Thank you for the time you saved all book lovers.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”