Review by Radiant3 -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by Radiant3 -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Radiant3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

[Following is a review of “Becoming the Dragon” by A. Sapigen.]

Andy lives in Russia with his mother, father, and sisters. He is a typical teenage boy. One unusual fact about Andy, is that electronic things freeze and short circuit when he gets too close. This happens because he was struck by lightning during a class field trip. Andy’s father is a scientist working on a teleportation device. One day, Andy has to drop off some documents for his father at work. He, unknowingly, steps into the middle of his father’s experiment and is transported into another world.

In this new place, he encounters strange beasts, orcs, elves, gnomes and a dragon. It is a land of magic and mystery but full of danger. Andy does his best to escape from a series of deadly encounters with the beasts of this new land. He travels through this strange place lost and confused. Through his primal animal instincts, he is able to survive. Eventually, he is captured, sold, hunted and tortured. During his capture, he becomes friends with a fellow prisoner, a dragon. In an attempt to escape, Andy is fatally wounded. The dragon carries the boy to a healer to see if there is any hope of saving him. There, Andy undergoes a series of magical changes in order to save his life.

The author does a good job of incorporating suspense, action, and adventure into the story. Andy is taken from his normal life to a mystical land of exotic beings. I liked how the writer is able to show that even though Andy is a young boy cast into an unknown land, he is still able to confront his battles with strength, courage and intelligence. Andy’s yearning for his family and home never leaves him even with all the things he experiences. His character is admirable and as a reader, I wanted him to survive and be able to see his family again.

The storyline was interesting and held my attention. The plot was well written. I thought the author did a good job of describing the imagery and scenes. The descriptions were vivid and detailed which helped to convey a clear picture of this new world. The characters were diverse. I liked the fact that the author was able to mix both science and magic into the story. The grammar was acceptable.

I rate Becoming the Dragon a 4 out of 4 stars. It is a really good novel that I enjoyed reading. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in stories of fantasy, action, and adventure.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Radiant3's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”