Official Review: shades of redemption by Chuck R Hoyle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: shades of redemption by Chuck R Hoyle

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "shades of redemption" by Chuck R Hoyle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Shades of Redemption by Chuck R. Hoyle, two planets have existed collaboratively. Until, Bren realizes it has all been a hoax, a strategy and a plan for destruction intricately planned by Ranson, the opposing side. A war is waged between a justly-ruled monarchy, Bren, and the corrupt and lawless republic of Ranson. The villains of Ranson seek out the remaining ruler of Bren who is hiding on American soil. General Pestia, an official in the kingdom of Bren, relentlessly follows after the young king to save him. The battle shifts and it carries along Barbara Cerasoli, a social worker who encounters the extra-terrestrial bodies, as well as George Gregaris, a former military forensics expert.

As I began reading the book, I was quickly pulled into the action. The fighting was so real and the conflict was evident. The dissension between Bren and Ranson can be easily felt from the beginning. The drive on every side to either redeem their kingdom or subdue their enemy is presented from the first page. The book is fast-paced and includes multiple scenes packed with suspense. The outcome of the action is not always told immediately which further heightens the suspense.

The extra-terrestrial appearance added an extra element of surprise to the plot. They are similar to African-Americans and they feel more comfortable in places where African Americans are present. In essence, the author reflects upon separatism and the impact of racism in a subtle way throughout the book. The aliens come from a kingdom where everyone’s skin color is similar and they are surprised by the human idea of separation merely based on skin color. Hoyle also shines light on human greed for money which he highlights through the aliens’ observation of human character.

The start of the book is however confusing and it took me quite some time to figure out what was happening. There lacks a balance between creating fast action and offering sufficient description that helps the story set right from the beginning. The characters are also too many which added to the confusion considering the fact that the aliens went by different names on their planets and on earth. I enjoyed the action, however, I wish much more would have been done to explain the storyline possibly through the inclusion of much more telling dialogue.

Every fan of science-fiction will find Shades of Redemption to be a treat, especially if they have a knack for action. It is captivating and engrossing. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

shades of redemption
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review! It's great to see that this book is action-packed. The extra-terrestrial sounded so random but then I realised this was a science fiction book :P
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

I like the story line. This sounds like a great book. Nice review!
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Wow, I got confused just by the intro of this book. Nevertheless, thank you so much for this beautiful review.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I gladly added this to my reading list. I love how boundless, unexpected, action packed, and thought provoking SciFi is. I will enjoy seeing how these opposing forces make out in the end of this conflict.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do dislike when there are so many characters that you just can't keep track. However, I love that the author includes great themes in a book that's truly entertaining. That's always enjoyable to me. Sounds like a pretty good book overall. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

Sounds like an interesting book with an intriguing plot! It is too bad there are too many characters - I also dislike when it is hard to keep track of them. Thanks for the review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." - George R. R. Martin

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”