Review by abbiejoice -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Review by abbiejoice -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

Post by abbiejoice »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Watchmaker’s Doctor" by G. M. T. Schuilling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Watchmaker's Doctor is a story about Anaya or Ana, who, with the help of a mysterious person and a special kind of watch goes back in time. Ana is 35 years old, suffers from Bipolar II, and regrets the life she has lived. She is a doctor who self-medicates and feels that her profession is not her true calling in life.

Ana gets a second chance in life when, after a tragic incident, she is able to go back 18 years, right at the time she was supposed to have dropped out of school. Given such a gift, what will Ana do? What will be the consequences of her decision to rewind her own life?

I really loved the beginning of the book. There are two characters who seem to have come from completely different worlds, each with their own facade and their own mystery to unravel. The setting is fitting also. It's almost as though I could walk right there and see Ana and Greg talking to each other, waiting for something either terrible or wonderful to happen next.

And something did quickly happen! The turn of events can't help but hook me in the story more and more. Ana finds out that the watch Greg gave her is really special, so special it could mean life or death for her.

I was a bit disappointed though after Ana was able to go backwards 18 years. From a very mature setting, the book somehow turned into a teenage drama. It was like watching a teenage television series rather than entering a mysterious and unknown world which was the ambiance at the beginning of the story.

I tried to be patient though and waited for the story to unfold. I still wanted to learn what happens to Ana. Will she make the same mistakes? Will her actions make her life better or even worse than before?

The phasing had been rather slow for me. There was nothing much that happened unlike what I found at the beginning of the book. Ana hangs out with her family and friends, goes to school, and solves problems a teenager normally goes through.

It's not that I didn't expect Ana to go through a normal life. It's only that I expected more to have happened faster. I wanted to read more consequences from Ana's decisions and maybe a little more of going back and forth in time to try to correct the errors she has done.

That said, I still find a substantial part of the book worth reading. There are many life lessons contained therein that Ana gets to learn as she tries to make a better life for herself and her loved ones. There is romance, too, and I felt that the love between the characters came out naturally. It felt good, and I can't help but wish the characters well.

Near the end though, I was again surprised as I didn't realize a cliffhanger coming. Though much has been accomplished with the story, I thought more would happen and the conclusion would be much more satisfactory.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the said ending and the slow phasing in the middle part of the story. I could have given 4 stars had there been a more complete ending since I really loved the premise of the book and all the life lessons contained therein.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like abbiejoice's review? Post a comment saying so!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Ahhhh, I'm in the middle of this one (so really, I shouldn't be reading other people's reviews anyway, but I was curious). Now I want to know what happens! I'm about a third of the way through I think, and I like it so far, but now I'm wondering if I'll be satisfied with the payoff? We'll see I guess! It's the journey, not the destination?

Thanks for this review. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”