Official Review: RoboDocs by T. 'Gus' Gustafson, M.D.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: RoboDocs by T. 'Gus' Gustafson, M.D.

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "RoboDocs" by T. 'Gus' Gustafson, M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

RoboDocs is an exhilarating science fiction book. It is written by Dr. T. 'Gus' Gustafson. Readers time travel to a technologically advanced future. Once there, they are shown the thrilling possibilities that could be availed to doctors and their patients through technology, bionics, and artificial intelligence.

Hal Phillips is only thirteen when he loses his father.  After a tragic accident, his father requires the type of medical attention that is not available in their small town. Sadly, he does not make it to the trauma center in the nearest city. A devastated Hal vows to become a doctor to help save lives in rural communities such as his. Years later, he goes through the excruciating experience of pre-med, medical school, and residency. Medical students are bombarded with the use of new technologies geared at bettering medicine, but at what cost? His values and ideals are rigorously tested. Are they realistic in keeping with the times? Disillusioned with the new system, he decides to take a trip to Africa in a final attempt to fulfil one of his dreams.

RoboDocs may not be your cup of tea if you like fast-paced, action-packed books. It has a slow, steady build-up of events which culminates in a satisfactory ending. This allows readers to become comfortable with the main character, Hal. The slow pace gives you enough time to digest and reflect on the impact of certain events and unexpected twists. As a result, I could truly empathise with Hal.

Hal has to reconcile his values and the new system which appears to place less emphasis on caring about individual patients. His frustration, and at times hopelessness, was so relatable. Imagine working day and night to fulfill your dreams and then be sidetracked by circumstances beyond your control. Yet, Hal manages to take those lemons and turn them into lemonade.

The technology that readers are introduced to is fascinating! Thankfully, it is presented in a realistic, compelling way that is not farfetched. The characters themselves are awed by the new technologies, and their reactions to it felt natural. Wouldn't you be hesitant to undergo surgery to get bionic eye implants? Well, that's exactly how Hal feels when faced with the decision.

If you are into medical science, or have a passion for innovative technologies, then you may love RoboDocs as much as I do. I thoroughly enjoyed it and believe it deserves a glittering 4 out of 4 stars!

RoboDocs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I am into medically-oriented thrillers. The premise behind this book is intriguing, and it gets you into a dilemma of robo versus human communication, which has been the basis for practicing medicine up till this moment. Thank you for the engaging and enlightening review. :tiphat:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The book sounds interesting, even though you stated that it was a bit slow-paced. New medical technologies that may be possible in the future, might replace the doctor and patient relationships we experience in the present. Bionics are already being used and will surely develop more and more in the future.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This sounds interesting, but a "slow, steady build-up" isn't really my thing. I'm glad to hear it has a satisfactory ending though. :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

A futuristic, sci-fi, thriller - sounds great. I love this type of book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love science fiction that has new technologies. I also have a love of reading medical stories. So, this combination sounds like it would be right up my alley. I'm also disenfranchised with our medical system. All in all, I'm going to have to put this on my list! Thanks so much!!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I like that the book is realistic and not far-fetched. That makes sci-fi books enjoyable in my opinion. I like being able to think it could really happen. I think I would also enjoy the time traveling aspect of this book.
Mac :techie-reference:
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Medical technology just astounds me. I have recently been watching a medical drama, and I am constantly fascinated by the things they do on the show. I can't imagine having to keep up with the constant advancements. The key to medical care though is compassion, which it sounds like Hal has. I work in a hospital (non-clinical), and I always think about how the patients and visitors didn't really CHOOSE to be there. They are in one of the worst situations of their life (depending on how seriously ill/injured they are), and they deserve a great deal of compassion.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I enjoy books with a future forward idea to them. But I think I'd prefer a bit more action than what this book provides. Thank you for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review! It sounds like an interesting book and something that I would have read if not for the slow-paced style of the book. It's a shame because I think I'll end up skimming most of the book. :(

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”