Official Review: Sojourner: A Novella by M. Quinten O'Neill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Sojourner: A Novella by M. Quinten O'Neill

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sojourner: A Novella" by M. Quinten O'Neill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sojourner: A Novella by M. Quinten O’Neil is a fast-paced, beautifully written tale of hope in a post-apocalyptic setting. As suggested by the title, this blend of sci-fi and fantasy fiction is character-driven. Our protagonist is a mysterious man who has such a strong will to survive that he somehow escaped his dying world, only to enter a desolate world much like his own. He meets Una Kess, a Shi. Shi describes a peaceful nomadic people who are viewed as sheep to be slaughtered and eaten by another group of people known as fade-walkers. Una is tired of her people roaming around in fear. The sojourner may just be able to help the Shi, but nothing good in life comes free.

Not surprisingly, our mystery man is determined to leave the new world he found himself in. At first, I thought that the title, Sojourner, foreshadowed that he would only stay in this world for a little while. However, after further contemplation, it came to mind that he may have been a sojourner in other worlds, but this is the story of the events leading to him taking up permanent residence in this one.

I really enjoyed this novella. The length was a little over one hundred pages divided into thirteen chapters, so I could easily finish it in one seating. O’Neil evidently had his work professionally edited because I could not find any grammatical error. Since this story was character-driven, it was pleasant that all the characters were well developed. They were all 100% human – beautifully flawed, courageous cowards. Although I only mentioned two group of people before, there was a third group – the Order. The order is a group of religious fanatics reminiscent of the crusaders. The non-confrontational Shi, the cannibalistic Fade-walkers, and the religious Order represent the different stereotypical groups that would most likely be found in a post-apocalyptic world. O’Neil does a brilliant job bringing them to life and showing that they are all complex beings via the use of dialogue, background stories and exposing their thoughts.

I cannot find any demerits to highlight. I thoroughly enjoyed this novella. I only wish I knew more about the protagonist. Even his name is a mystery. I hope that this has a sequel. This story made me evaluate my sense of morality. I am sure that many readers will be able to relate to this story.

In conclusion, I rate Sojourner 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this novella to fans of both sci-fi and fantasy fiction, especially those looking for a quick thrilling reading experience.

Sojourner: A Novella
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Sold. I love post-apocalyptic books - this one reminds me of The Book of Eli a little bit. It's always a plus when the author is able to create a new world, but also focus on the characters. I find that sometimes one or the other gets left behind.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

This sounds like a fun story to read. I agree that the three groups represent the most common groups one would find in a post apocalyptic world. Even though this is sci-fi, I think the setting and the characters could be seen as a representation of what we could become if our world ended. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Post apocalyptic books are not something I find interest in. I appreciate your review and am glad you enjoyed it.
Thank You.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I can tell you really connected with this book. It's quite a credit to the author when you are unable to find an area for improvement. Excellent review!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

This sounds like the perfect book for me! I haven't been able to read a book with well-developed characters lately and I'm almost forgetting how character-driven stories feel! Thank you for the review :)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for this mesmerizing review, Jaime! We are all sojourners really. And all "courageous cowards," too! I like that description.

The Shi, Fade-walkers and the Order will be interesting to meet.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”