Review by holsam_87 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
holsam_87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: It's Hard to Be a Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Lilly Among Clouds by Marie Washtag
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by holsam_87 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by holsam_87 » 23 Aug 2018, 18:46

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo is the story of a modern dystopian world that doesn't seem to be far off from the actual world that we live in. We follow the life of Agent Sliver as he carries out the will and wishes of the World, Inc. CEO, Fellrock. Is Sliver as distant and obedient as he appears or does he have a disobedient streak that makes him more humane? It would appear so, but you have to be the judge you read about his endeavors.

Agent Sliver is an agent employed by the corporationWorld, Incorporated. His work involves taking out those that threaten the ideals that the company represents. He also works with his ship's AI, which tracks his missions and locations to report back to his boss. Being a bit willing to bend the rules, Sliver doesn't always report things back to his employer. Will this come back to haunt him?

I really enjoyed reading the characterizations of Sliver and his interactions with his AI, that he has named Franklin. Franklin at points can be a bit funny with how he reacts to Sliver's sarcasm, but other times is extremely by the book. Sliver also comes off as distant and unfeeling, but he does have his moments of being very humane. One of those instances is in regard to Kelly; he could have left her for dead but took her on his ship instead to help her.

The use of the technology is very advanced between how consumerism is handled, along with communications. However, being able to scan a person for preferences is worrisome to me. It feels a little too much like how things are in 1984, which is another play on a dystopian world. Having too much involvement from the government or corporations will definitely not be a good thing.

This book is very well edited, with just a couple of punctuation errors. I would definitely say that this book has been professionally edited. It is very descriptive and is believable in how it has been written. Nothing is misspelled from what I can see, which makes me very pleased.

It is with these considerations that I award World, Incorporated 4 out of 4 stars. In fact, it is almost possible that this could be our future. With the U.S. becoming more of an oligraphy than a democracy, corporations could have more say in how the world is ran. I hope that this isn't the case.

If you are easily offended by mature language or get disturbed by depictions of violence and torture, then you should avoid this. However, if you like books with overarching themes of hope and freedom, then you should check World, Incorporated out. It really made me think, and second guess what was going on. Another bonus is that it is a well done science fiction novel with a lot of potential.

Science fiction fanatics might compare this to other books like Brave New World or 1984. In retrospective, I think this could compare to movies like Blade Runner and the Terminator series. Whatever the author used for inspiration, he truly out did himself here.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like holsam_87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

ParadoxicalWoman
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: Across the Street and around the world
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 26 Aug 2018, 23:27

It's scary to me to imagine a democracy country turns to become an oligarchy country. This is such a futuristic book that will made one to consider the present situation with the future. Thanks for your nice review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

edith38
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 » 27 Aug 2018, 03:12

Thank you for the review. The government control is ever-green theme though dystopian stories and 1984 is almost always implied (though in fact our society seems to be heading towards the "brave new world" instead, or possibly a mixture). However, the idea of an AI who functions as a companion/comic relief sounds more promising and it's always good to know that the book is well edited.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”