Official Review: Little Bird by Seth Chambers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Little Bird by Seth Chambers

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Bird" by Seth Chambers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shia Song can literally be anything she wants to be. If she wants to be a cat, she morphs into one. When her father wanted a boy, she changed into one. However, after a bitter altercation with her beloved father, she leaves home never to return. Shia makes her way into the polymorph safe zone of Chicago where she enters a government protection program. One of the program’s rules involves secrecy. She is not allowed to reveal what she truly is to anyone. But then she meets and falls in love with Alex, an art enthusiast. Will the government stand in the way of her heart? Will Shia ever find what she desires, freedom?

Little Bird is a fantasy novel about love, control, and a phenomenon called polymorphism. Polymorphs are not considered human, given their ability to change form, sometimes even changing into animals. While the idea of having beings that are able to literally change their looks and form is at the same time creepy and fascinating, this is one of the cool books where the alien is not the bad guy trying to snatch earth from humans. One of the best skilled polymorphs around, Shia would easily be everyone’s favorite non-human if she were to actually exist today.

Amongst other things, this story deals with patriarchy. In many parts of Asia and the rest of the world, males are favored and some parents would rather have male children to carry on the family name. China’s one child policy makes this issue an even more severe one, giving rise to selective abortion and a resulting imbalance in the male to female population ratio. Shia had to deal with this issue on a personal level. How? Read this book to find out! This part of the story touched me, and I think everyone who also believes in self-actualization will feel as strongly as I did.

This story is one of the best fantasy novels I’ve read in a long time. It has it all; great flow, suspense, romance, riveting plot twists, and a very intriguing storyline. I have no dislikes with this one. The secondary characters are relatable and most of the time the heroine gives off a pleasant-alien-in-a-human-society vibe. The beginning chapters alternated between the present and the past, with the whole story coming together towards the end of the book. It also ends on a pleasantly surprising note.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It had a few errors I am willing to overlook because I believe a story like this deserves nothing less than full points. I recommend this story to enthusiasts of the fantasy and science-fiction genre. And yes, I would love to read more from this author.

Little Bird
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I want to be a shape shifter! This is high praise indeed: "This story is one of the best fantasy novels I've read in a long time." I'm not sure I can fit anything else on my to read list, but this one is certainly worthy of being there! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

This sounds like a great book. Great review, thanks! It's made me want to read this book.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm not typically a fantasy reader, but if I were this would definitely go on my reading list, and it may find it's way on there anyways. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like an excellent fantasy novel with some intriguing characters. The patriarchy issue is a powerful one, particularly when you consider China's one child policy. Thanks for a great review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Great review! It sounds good. I will consider reading it. I have never heard of polymorphs before I read this review.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love me a great fantasy read so this will definitely be going on my tbr list. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I am really excited to eventually read this book one day. I recently read and reviewed The Different Kinds of Monsters by Seth Chambers and based off the fast paced, suspenseful writing in that book I would love to read Little Bird. I might be showing bias since the character in Little Bird finds it safe to live in Chicago and I'm from Chicago. Aside from that, I love the fact that Shia is portrayed as a positive character, despite her ability to morph. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Shia has an enviable talent, although truth be told, changing into a boy is not anywhere on my list. It would be interesting to see how patriarchy is addressed in this book. Thank you for the great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love SciFi that includes mutations or superpowers. The original worlds that are created are so unique yet believable. I like the added factor of the witness protection for polymorphs, that is a cool plot device.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I love this type of genre, the book sounds very interesting on multiple levels, definitely something I'm likely to enjoy. Thank you for your review!
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

A free flowing review.Thank you for ever so eloquently taking up this book and reviewing it.I love not only your review but the book.
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Your review does justice to the complex issues raised in this book, but it is fun too... I reqlly like the idea of a "pleasant alien in a human society vibe"!
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I love shapeshifters, Chicago, and books that deal with political issues like patriarchy. I add this book to my tbr because of your positive review. Thank you.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review and recommendation! I love reading these kind of books where the characters are able to morph into different animals. However, I usually find those books cliched. But from your review, I think I won't have to worry about that. :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”