Official Review: Rage Of A Demon by E.D. Jimenez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Rage Of A Demon by E.D. Jimenez

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rage Of A Demon" by E.D. Jimenez.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Out of a humble village surrounded by walls of lava came a girl with unimaginable power. Kanaka lived a simple life without friends or family and often found the quietness of her town grating against her inquisitive and adventurous nature. It wasn’t long before she discovered herself in a troublesome situation that resulted in her removal from her home. Using the situation to her advantage, she embarked on a quest to uncover the mysteries surrounding her new environment and that of her unknown family.

Young, powerful, intelligent and cocky, Kanaka had no problem immersing herself in the dealings of the world. She quickly met several key characters, such as Kaimoni, a wanted boy with an unfortunate past interested in using Kanaka’s power for personal gains. However, through bloodshed and trials, the two quickly struck an unlikely friendship that negated any past manipulation on either end. Soon after, a cocky adventurer was introduced as well. The walking hormone ended up having his butt handed to him by Kanaka, the object of all his desires…in that moment. From then on, the duo of Kanaka and Kaimoni became a trio. All three characters then had significant roles to play as they sought to uncover the secrets behind their incredible heritage, fought demons and gods, discovered magic to learn and lives to save.

Rage of a Demon by E.D. Jimenez was a tale of curses and magic, heroes and assassins, demons and gods, as well as dangerous threats that necessitated quelling. Regrettably, the awesome themes were overshadowed by a severe lack of quality writing.

It was as though the author had no idea how to properly construct a book written in English. The dialogue was never written correctly, run on sentences were the norm, and there was a plethora of missing, incorrect or misspelled words. An example of the mistakes could be shown in this paragraph: ‘“Perhaps it is because they would prefer a lady” Cali said with a scorn. Kanaka laughed “nah, I think perhaps they simply like dolls to play with” she said with a snort. Cali frowned all the more and said, “young lady how will you ever have children with anyone if you continue with that attitude.”’

Although the beginning of the book was frustrating, by the end, I was extremely proficient at replacing incorrect words in my head, rearranging poorly worded sentences, and deciphering which character was speaking when, since there was never a paragraph break between. And looking back, as I contemplated the book as a whole, I realized that the story actually had great potential. It was clear the author had an awesome imagination. However, the failures came in the form of the delivery and unclear details, overruling everything else. There were a few things that didn’t make sense, some events that were poorly explained and a few situations that had a cheezy and juvenile feel to them.

Almost all of the characters were written with a cocky attitude, but each ended up having distinct personalities, which I appreciated. I also found it interesting that most of them had such unusual names, like Mortuus, Sicarius and Graewar...but then there was Steve. Poor Steve. He came out of nowhere but quickly won my favor. Never doubt the power of a fight between a hormonal boy and a girl capable of kicking his butt. I found myself cracking a smile when we were introduced to the idiot, and my mood lightened considerably. I was also impressed with the depth his character ended up showing, as well as some of the others.

As much as possible considering the hindering mistakes, I did become interested in the characters as well as the storyline. I was especially irritated when the book ended on a cliffhanger since unfortunately, I don’t believe I'd be able to make it through the second book to actually find out what'll happen next.

All things considered, I can’t rate this book anything higher than a 1 out of 4 stars. Were it to receive a considerable amount of attention from a professional editor, I’d recommend to teenagers and adults alike, who’re interested in a sci-fi/fantasy story that contains a great deal of action and magic. Barring that, however, I’d say it’s not worth the read.

Rage Of A Demon
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bonnie Shelby's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

You start your review with flying colors and at the end you crash it down like it's not worth a penny. I saw the development of the characters (personality development), but for you too rate only 1 start just because of editorial errors seems a big problem. Since, you wouldn't recommend this book I will take your word to an account. thank you for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

The plot and characters sound interesting, BUT I hate cliffhanger endings and to top it up there is a lot of editorial issues. I will give this one a miss! Thanks for the review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

At the beginning of your review, I was thinking the book might be good. Imagine my disappoint when I learn it's not edited and doesn't worth the read. Thanks for your helpful review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The storyline is interesting but the lack of editing is the biggest turn-off. Will only get my hands on this book after a round of professional editing. Thanks for the thorough review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 02:05 You start your review with flying colors and at the end you crash it down like it's not worth a penny. I saw the development of the characters (personality development), but for you too rate only 1 start just because of editorial errors seems a big problem. Since, you wouldn't recommend this book I will take your word to an account. thank you for the review!
I know what you mean, and I had considered giving it two stars, but if you'd read even the first chapter you'd see how bad the writing was. The plot and characters had potential but I really don't think anyone would want to read it unless it can be edited. There are plenty of other great books out there that don't have these issues, and so I don't want anyone to waste their time on something poorly written.

Thank you for commenting - I appreciate it :)
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Corhan2 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 02:26 The plot and characters sound interesting, BUT I hate cliffhanger endings and to top it up there is a lot of editorial issues. I will give this one a miss! Thanks for the review.
I don't like cliffhangers either. Between that and the writing issues, I think you're making the right choice :) Thanks for commenting!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 04:21 At the beginning of your review, I was thinking the book might be good. Imagine my disappoint when I learn it's not edited and doesn't worth the read. Thanks for your helpful review.
I know, I was disappointed as well. Thank you for commenting!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 06:49 The storyline is interesting but the lack of editing is the biggest turn-off. Will only get my hands on this book after a round of professional editing. Thanks for the thorough review.
I really do hope it gets some attention from a professional editor - it'd make it so much better!
Thanks for your comments :)
judtmoore
Currently Reading: The Great Inception
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by judtmoore »

Sometimes an amazing story just absolutely cannot be appreciated if the writing is atrocious. As a musician and writer, I have discovered that delivery is every bit as important as content. You could have written the most amazing song in the world, but without an artist to perform it, no one will ever appreciate it.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I can't believe you got all the way through this one. I'm going to pass, probably even if it were to be edited. Thanks for your honesty.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

judtmoore wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 12:27 Sometimes an amazing story just absolutely cannot be appreciated if the writing is atrocious. As a musician and writer, I have discovered that delivery is every bit as important as content. You could have written the most amazing song in the world, but without an artist to perform it, no one will ever appreciate it.
Well said! I completely agree. Thanks for commenting :)
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

AmySmiles wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:01 I can't believe you got all the way through this one. I'm going to pass, probably even if it were to be edited. Thanks for your honesty.
I understand. Thanks for reading and commenting on my review :)
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

"Must miss!" It's unfortunate to hear of the poor construction of this book, given the author's obviously deep imagination and some decent character development. I'm not sure how someone decides they should write a book without even a basic understanding of how paragraphs and punctuation work. That's the sort of thing you pick up simply by reading other books... Thanks for a very informative review!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Oh dear. This seems like a bit of a chore. I'm so happy that the characters gave you something to enjoy towards the end. Poor Steve - that gave me a good chuckle.
Loved your review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”