Review by Sir-Pm -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sir-Pm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sir-pm.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review by Sir-Pm -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

Post by Sir-Pm »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Different Kinds Of Monsters" by Seth Chambers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The different kinds of monsters. -Seth Chambers

The book was not what I was expecting, I thought it'll be a supernatural science fiction kind of book, but I equally wasn't disappointed either. In the book the writer talks about the Armitage family and the struggles they had to go through, moving from one city to another, never really settling down for long. The book also explained how this constant relocating and having to live in different motels all around the state affected their life. But despite this they still remained together and as Tom in the book always said “blood calls to blood”. Then everything took a strange turn as their son Dylan started having a strange connection with a prehistoric Allosaurus, which died millions of years ago. Little did they know that it was more than just that.

One thing I liked about the book is the way the writer portrayed the Armitage family. Tom Armitage who married his lovely wife Ariel when she was very young and had not fully enjoyed life before marriage, had a very bad temper and a habit of always smoking. This temper was the major reason they always kept moving as his temper would get the better of him making him commit an offence. So, to avoid the punishment they would relocate. But things started to change when Tom’s wife met some new friends who came to spend the holiday at EMILY’S PREHISTORIC PARADISE a business they helped rejuvenate in a remote town they recently moved into. All the feelings she had been bottling up, started to seep out. She now saw her son whom she once protected with all her might with disdain, plunged into over dose, which eventually took a drastic turn.

Then the part of the book that really thrilled me and made me want to read more was when the writer introduced another era, the era of the dinosaurs, which at the beginning looked much unrelated to the main story of the life of the Armitage family. Little did I know that the writer had a really interesting surprise to unveil as the book progressed. To enable the reader have an understanding of the different eras, the writer made the transition between the different eras to be done simultaneously which really helped me in understanding.

Another thing I really loved about the book is how the writer used some really descriptive words to explain the Jurassic era, in a way that a part of your brain just begins to imagine it and it all begins to feel so real. Moreover, the writer tried as much as possible to explain in simple terms so that anybody can understand what he is trying to pass across. For example when he explained how the great Allosaurus young ones came to life, reading through it will immediately give you an idea of what was happening.

The only thing that I did not like was how it ended, as it left me surprised and confused as to whether there was a second part or not. It was just so abrupt because it didn’t give a clear definition as to what eventually happened. Other than that and the use of so many short sentences which I didn’t personally like, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I really enjoyed reading the book and equally learned the names of a lot of dinosaurs that I never knew before. So it was both informative and interesting to me.

This book will be good for those who are in love with pre-historic animals like the dinosaurs as it shows a transition in time between the present world, the past and the Jurassic era and equally those who loves mystery because it has a serious mystery which connected both worlds together.

The Different Kinds Of Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sir-Pm's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”