Review by AshEileen2013 -- World, Incorporated

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
AshEileen2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asheileen2013.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by AshEileen2013 -- World, Incorporated

Post by AshEileen2013 » 14 Aug 2018, 11:36

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World, Incorporated, is a science fiction novel set in the year 2058. The novel is about a covert agent, Agent Silver who works for a man named Fellrock. Fellrock, is the CEO of World, Incorporated, hence where the title of the book comes into play. Agent Silver accepts any mission, even if means murdering someone. Silver has worked for Fellrock for four years, taking all assignments without question, even if they are heinous.

At the beginning of the book, you are introduced to Agent Silver's computer ally. Silver calls the computer by many names at the beginning of the novel, unable to settle on one. The computer does ask Silver when he plans on picking a name for him, which Silver replies with, "I will as soon as I find somebody else to talk to, Silas," which hints towards him finding someone new to talk to. This, to me, was very a-typical of an action novel. The loner finding someone that they feel as if they relate to on an emotional or physical level despite never having those kinds of connections before.

During a mission, something totally out of character happens with Silver. He empathizes with the child of one of his targets. Kelly, the child Silver empathizes with, is not a normal child; she's an anomaly. Agent Silver brings her aboard his ship omitting to every the nature of her genetics. Out of all the missions Silver is given, he continually hopes that it will lead him to killing Ancarn, the CEO of Multinational.

My favorite parts of this novel is when Silver was struggling with the orders he was given against with what he really wanted to do, which showed the character had a conscience and a heart. I didn't like how the other characters seemed like they were just kind of there, no real depth to them.

Reading the novel, I was struck with so many questions. How did he start the line of work he fell into? What did Ancarn do to make Silver so bent on revenge? The first few chapters of the novel were very slow to start. I loved the detail the author threw into the book, however, it was an overwhelming bit of detail that made the book seem boring. It was hard to get into the book right away. However, as the story progresses the book became infatuating.

The novel is based on a more futuristic approach, which is why I had a harder time getting into the novel. My personal preferences lead me to prefer more medieval based books or modern century. One thing that stood out for me with this author, was their vocabulary. I loved how he used more extensive words and didn't repeat too many phrases or words. He kept the characters engaging which is so important in writing. I would love to see this book turned into a motion picture as it has so much potential. I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars, even though it wasn't my type of book; it was still very well written and put together.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like AshEileen2013's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”